Two D-Day Vignettes

Roktman

A few months ago my local club (BPMS) was challenged to do a D-Day theme model in time for the anniversary date. Since my thing was aviation and figures, I figured there could be a lot of planes on the table so I thought about figures. Now doing a diorama of D-Day would involve a LOT of figures, with "action" all over the board. How about if I vignette a tiny piece of the scene. I found a kneeling man from Alpine, and decided to set him up in a little beach scene - maybe with one of those metal hedgehogs, and then I saw a number of poles set up on the beach. Some of them had land mines perched on top. Apologies, I'm not a big military modeler but figure they have some sort of name. 😞 A little UV resin made a little water's edge and I was ready to go.  I titled it "Move off the Beach!"

IMG_6739.jpg.107c9dd8a796fdb77685cd8189c4a9c8.jpgIMG_6740.jpg.10d96a188bab86ccd31154ecbb2a7dd2.jpg

Then seeing a YouTube video showing a ghostly meet up with his war buddy, I decided I had one more vignette in me. I cut two sections of foam for the cemetery land and then with the extra foam I created a few crosses. Yes, I know there were a number of other denominations, but the the time I had and the extent of my foam carve prowess, this was all I could muster.  Anyway none of them came out perfect, so I decided to use Tamiya putty to will the gouges and extra cut marks. Next day I looked and found out ...  Tamiya Putty ... eats foam.  Doh! 😩 What to do. I had balsa wood the right size. But whats the chance I could make 9 of them exactly the same - about zero chance.  So I took a gamble and ran to the newly opened Hobby Lobby and was about to find a molding putty, and some resin that cured in 10 minutes!!  So that balsa was used to create a master - a little too big tho...  and over the next day and a 1/2 made the 9 monuments.  By that time the Master Box kit of 3 civilians and two military men arrived and I found the one military guy that was just standing there to be perfect. BTW the original kit was these two GI was bumming a ride from this family. But it was just the figures, no car - tho the car was on the box art... The civilian was  mostly ready to go. He just needed a little surgery and Aves to have him in a saluting position. Citadel has this green blue paint that really made minis look ghostly when mixed in various colors with white. I look at my citadel paint pot, and - CRAP -dried out. Back to Hobby Lobby and found the closest hobby paint to the color I needed. For the final bit I took a piece of paperclip made a bend and gave the old veteran a cane.  I edged the diorama in thin basswood and found a saying that's on the monument at the Normandy American Monument.  Thanks for looking and getting thru the long read.

IMG_6736.jpg.849e4d982cc152efac4517f282b381fb.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg.e707f470d2aec47e8a197a4cccb43afd.jpgIMG_6738.jpg.2a5d1eb7d2fd0885fadffed397a88963.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, stunning work! The second one with the two meeting is exceptionally moving. Brilliant work!

19 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Wow, stunning work! The second one with the two meeting is exceptionally moving. Brilliant work!

Thanks!