1/3 scale Lagun FTV-1 Vertical Milling Machine

I scratch built this 1/3 scale model in 1987 during my apprenticeship, worked mainly in polycarbonate, ABS, aluminum, mild steel, and brass.  Some WEP (water extended polyester resin), Wren board and copper.    It took over 350 hours to complete, X, Y & Z table movements worked when first built, time has sized things up a bit, but it is still nice to have in my collection.  

Cheers

Rick

Mill date.JPG

Mill front-r.JPG

Mill right caliper.JPG

Mill table.JPG

Lagun FTV-5.jpg

Lagun FTV-6.jpg

Lagun FTV-7.jpg

P1170966.JPG

P1170967.JPG

DANGGGGG......... When you said when you introduced yourself you were a "professional material modeler" and posted this pic I thought is was to show a piece of your machinery in your shop that you use for work.... NOT THAT THIS  WAS ONE OF YOUR BUILDS!

I am suitably agog!

Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, ghodges said:

DANGGGGG......... When you said when you introduced yourself you were a "professional material modeler" and posted this pic I thought is was to show a piece of your machinery in your shop that you use for work.... NOT THAT THIS  WAS ONE OF YOUR BUILDS!

I am suitably agog!

Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Thank you kind sir.  I had a blast back in the late 1980's building it.  Still have this in a crate in my workshop, still waiting for a suitable display.  

Cheers

On 6/3/2024 at 8:08 AM, dmorrissette said:

Sweet. Similar to the mill I learned the basics on.

Dave

I learned on a Bridgeport belt drive J head, 8 speeds to do everything.  When I built this model, I did much of the milling on the actual Lagun.  Nice machine, big 2.5 hp motor, the variable speed head was a nice treat back then.  

I now teach machining fundamentals, manufacturing and metallurgy at a local college.  Currently we have 8 vertical mills, 4 generic VS head machines, 3 Bridgeport's and a massive Wells-Index with a 56" table.  

Cheers