Highway Pioneers plastic question

Nortley

Sometimes I'll pull an ancient kit from the stash and see what I can make of it. I have started a Gowland & Gowland/Revell Highway Pioneers Fiat  tourer, date on the instructions is 1953.  Someone had started it, but the well dried glue residue peeled off easily.  I tried Testors and Tamiya liquid cements, neither would bite into the plastic to make a joint.  The instructions said to use "model airplane cement" or acetone.  I tried the acetone, which bit into the plastic, but I question the strength of the joint.  The plastic seems slicker and different from styrene, so I'll try ABS cement next.  Has anyone else ran into such a situation?  Any ideas?  

Try one of the plastic "welders". Plastruct makes two and Micromark makes a product called "same stuff". It's the same formula as Tenax 7 and works a treat on every plastic I've tried it on. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gowland had quite a range of model cars back in the day.

Like Ron I use Plastruct' s Plastic Weld and find it good for many plastics.

Posted (edited)

I tried Styrene Tack It 2, a Tenax knock off, it smelled right but didn't even mar the surface.  5 minute epoxy seems to be working. The kit has sat somewhere since I was 5 years old, so I'm not rushing the job.  The good news is that AV primer sticks, and the paint on to that.

Edited by Nortley

Have you tried an ABS cement such as is used on Plastruct materials? The plastic has a different chemical basis so "normal" cements don't work. Plastruct makes two cements, one is specifically for ABS plastic. Rubicon models are made of a plastic that does not respond to "normal" cements either, but ABS ones work fine.