Vargas 3D printed Vickers No. I tank 1/72

Ron Bell

This is a 3D printed model from Vargas. They do a variety of American Civil War and between the world wars subjects in both 1/35 an 1/72. The Type 1 was a private venture by Vickers and combined aspects of the British mediums in its rhomboid shaped track run and the French FT-17 in having its armament in a revolving turret instead of sponsons on the side. It had a crew of three and was only armed with machine guns. A second prototype was also built that had some changes in automotive parts as well as having one more MG in the turret rear pointed up for anti-aircraft work. The final version, the No 2, was only a design and was not built. It's distinction was that it carried a 47MM (3 prd) gun in the turret and was the first tank designed specifically for anti-tank work. The type was abandoned after trials revealed serious transmission problems. The Vargas kit consists of only eight parts and is beautifully printed with no flash not mold seams (as there are no molds used, that is logical). There are some striations on the back and nose of the hull that are evidence of the 3D printing process. Everything fit perfectly and with painting makes an excellent addition to my between the wars collection. I'm no figure painter, as is obvious, but the figure is included to give you a sense of how small this vehicle was in reality.

PXL_20230827_133039094.jpg

PXL_20230827_133047891.jpg

PXL_20230827_133059750.jpg

PXL_20230827_133109175.jpg

• Like 1

The way of the future! What a nifty kit of a good looking design. Very nicely done!

Nice job.

I have this in 1/35, but I'm not sure how to deal with the striations. I guess good old sandpaper. I think we're 2-3 years away from that being a thing of the past.

James, in this scale they were almost impossible to deal with and to remover them would have involved removing most of the detail. The paint covered most and I can live with the rest. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...