Way Out of My Lane- Tamiya 1/32 Scale Spitfire

jlent

My modeling interests focus on 1/72 scale aircraft, but my daughter inspired me to try something outside my “comfort zone.”  Like a number of young Americans, she faced a difficult time during the COVID pandemic.  During that time, she lost her job.  Despite this set back, she didn’t give up, and within a few months of searching, she found a career path that continues to the present day.  I wanted to do something for her to celebrate her determination and perserverence.  As a modeler, I thought…build her something.  As I thought about it, the idea of building a 1/72 scale model wasn’t going to cut it.  I mean, if I was going to build her something, I needed to show detail.  I wanted to build her a fighter, because in facing all that adversity, she was a indeed a fighter.  I decided to build a Supermarine Spitfire, because it was not only a first-rate fighter plane, but one of the most aesthetically beautiful aircraft ever built.

The Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc certainly fit the bill.  It’s well engineered, the instructions are clear, and the kit includes photo-etch parts and canopy masks.  I didn’t like the photo-etch seatbelt harness, so I bought a cloth seatbelt harness made by HGWModels.  That was a kit all by itself.  I also added cabling for the throttle, radio, cockpit lighting, and on the control column that support the guns.  I added an oxygen hose on the cockpit side-wall for additional interest.  The kit provides three different versions to build including a clipped wing model.  I built the model representing the aircraft flown by Wing Commander James Edgar “Johnnie” Johnson, Officer Commanding, Kenley Wing , RAF Fighter Command during the Spring of 1943.  The Osprey Aces series stated that Johnson achieved 12 victories and 5 shared victories flying this aircraft.  It took a while to complete this model, but it was worth it. 

To those attending the upcoming Nationals in San Marcos, safe travels and enjoy!  We now return you to our regularly scheduled 1/72 scale model aircraft programming.      

20201120_173703.jpg

20210204_165015.jpg

20210228_125126 (1).jpg

20210426_171334.jpg

20210912_121804.jpg

20220109_144944.jpg

20220130_163715.jpg

20220620_154340.jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (15).jpg

thumbnail (27).jpg

thumbnail (31).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 4

WOW! That is an outstanding build and a loving tribute that I'm certain your daughter will treasure. Great camo work and I agree with the choice of a clean finish to help show off the Spit's clean lines. Congrats, and thanks for sharing the model and the motivation!

Gil :cool:

Gil -

Thank you for your thoughts.  They are very much appreciated. I bought one of those Bill's Bases with a cover to protect the model. I saw them when I attended Nationals last year.  

• Like 1

Kevin -

Thank you for reaching out.  Despite the length of time taken to complete the kit, I enjoyed the build.  Appreciate your support!

Jean-Marc -

Appreciate your comments.  Thank you. I was very happy with how the kit came together.  

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much, Ken.  Your comment is much appreciated.  I had a fun time building this kit.