How to use decantered spray paint in a Air brush ?

Manfred

I decant the paint and let it sit for a while, about an hour,to let the propellant gas off. Then thin with appropriate thinner and test on a scrap or paint mule. When happy with your spray pattern, then paint your model. If it's not thinned enough, it will clog fairly quickly.

Dave

It's possible you waited a little too long before thinning. I usually only wait an hour or two before thinning and using.  I just use the cheap hardware store lacquer thinner for most enamels and lacquers and cleaning. It dulls enamels a little, but after curing and polishing it gets the shine back. Tamiya acrylics I use 91% rubbing alcohol. Vallejo, AK and AMMO I use there thinner or distilled water. 

You're welcome, this has usually worked for me. Test until you get the mixture your happy with. Each color will have a slight change in the amount of thinner you may need. For lacquers and enamels, both out of the bottle and decanted, I start with a 2-1 paint to thinner ratio and adjust + or - a few drops until it sprays smoothly.

Dave

Very unusual for an issue with clogging the nozzle.  I've been doing this for many years(10+) and never had any issue like that.  A brief question.  Did you shake the can before decanting?  Could be settled paint from the bottom of the can.  Regardless, thinning it properly and mixing it well should solve the issue.

I always decant an entire can at one time.  This allows me to put a little lacquer thinner in the can to get every last drop out.  Oh, and by the way, a 46ml Tamiya paint mixing jar will hold exactly the contents of one Tamiya can. 

Another trick is to warm the spray can in warm water before decanting. It helps with mixing the solids in the bottom of the can when shaking. It also helps get a better finish if spraying directly from the can.

EJ

5 hours ago, Manfred said:

Thanks to all for your advice, I did shake can & also heated it. I'm using a single action Iwata HP-M2 airbrush with a .40 needle.

Manfred

Then I guess the question becomes,"how are you decanting it." I can think of no reason that is shouldn't go through your airbrush just fine. 
On second thought, I suppose it could be a dirty airbrush.  A good disassembly and clean, including the seal could be the answer to your problem.  Flakes off of old paint clogging the needle. 

On 2/9/2023 at 1:19 AM, PeteJ said:

I always decant an entire can at one time.  This allows me to put a little lacquer thinner in the can to get every last drop out.

How do you get the lacquer thinner in the can?

6 hours ago, SkyKing said:

How do you get the lacquer thinner in the can?

I do a two step decanting that a lot of people aren't going to like.  I made a piece that looks and acts like a saddle valve that penetrates the can with a pointed screw.  That lets me control the outflow of the propellent.  The first hole is as close to the top as I can get.  I let it sit overnight so the propellent is gone.  I then move to bottom of the can and punch a second hole.  I drain the paint out of the bottom hole into the storage jar.

Once that is done, I use a pipet to squirt some thinner through one of the holes and cover both holes and shake it up.  That will clean the inside of the can of all paint.  Oh and here is a side thought.  When everything is done, I use some shop shears to rip open the can and remove the marbles and drop them in with paint I just decanted to assist with mixing it.  

• Like 1