I NEED HELP!!

Narampa

I just got back into modelling  and spent some big bucks on a spray booth.

I live in a condo and tried out my spray booth. It worked great except for the smell of the paint.

I used Tamiya paint ,no matter what I do the smell drives my wife crazy. She has some very bad reactions to the Vapours from most paints. 

I thought I would use acrylics the craft paint is great, nice finish but what do I use for a clear gloss finish ? There is no Future or Pledge left in this area.

I tried all the hobby shop clear coats and nothing works that doesn't  stink the place up.

I need help!
time is running out I'm 71 years old. 

This may be a dumb question.  Please don't be offended, but your spray booth is vented outside isn't it?  I've seen people use them unvented and wonder why they don't work!

No it is not vented outside. And never will be as I said I live n a high rise condo. My plan is to use acrylic hobby paint which is odourless and does not bother the wife. 
what I am looking for is a gloss coat for acrylic paint.

I contacted Deco Art and they have a polyurethane gloss varnish. However they are unsure  if I will be able to use it in an airbrush. That gloss varnish doesn't bother my wife. 
so I am going to try and see if it will in fact spray with good results.

I am very experienced with airbrush techniques as I used to rebuild aircraft instruments.

Like I said my problem is finding a product that will give a gloss finish with little to no odour.

No offence taken by any comments from anybody.

A last resort would be to build in the winter and topcoat in the summer.

Bummer isn't it.?

Lawrence,  I know you might have some restrictions, but do you have a clothes dryer?  You might be able to run a T off that vent to attach your booth.  You would also need a gate on the spray booth to stop lint from the dryer from blowing into the paint booth. 

Edited by PeteJ

1 minute ago, PeteJ said:

Lawrence,  I know you might have some restrictions, but do you have a clothes dryer?  You might be able to run a T off that vent to attach you booth.

Yes I have a clothes dryer but it would take a lot to do what you suggest. 
This might sound ridiculous but my wife and I put a lot of planning into our laundry room as our condo is 1400 sq.ft. It would be very expensive and a lot of work as everything is built in.

But thanks for the thought.

OK, see f you can try this. I have an outside window. I connect the spray booth to a square/rectangle of carboard and put it in the window when i paint. You can add a couple handles to make it easy to move. In bad weather, I seal it so I remain warm

Dave

• Like 1

I am going to see what I can do with this. Big problem is outside temperature varies from -40 to 120. So that in itself presents a problem. 
Your suggestion makes sense but I have to figure out the logistics of doing this.

51 years married and I don't think the wife wants to leave yet. 😂 

Problem solved!

I am going to use Acrylic Craft paint. Absolutely no Oder what so ever. In the winter I can build and paint.

In the summer I will clear coat on my deck. I will be able to do this without a problem as I have my spray booth which i tested in our kitchen "no smell, no mess."