removing seam

hws5283

Im building an Sa2 missile from trumpeter and the rocket comes in two halves. How should I approach removing the seam between the two parts? Im not really a fan of putty/fillers and know you can use plastic cement for this but I wanted to ask around before I attempt it. 

IMG_0723.JPG

I built that kit, and with careful cleanup the seam is not too bad.  The key to the exercise it to test fit until the parts fit tightly together when you simply hold them together.  If I recall, I managed to get a tight seam that only needed a light sanding.  I used Tamiya Extra Thin cement, and applied a little pressure to the two halves once they were together to pop out a small bead of plastic that had been softened by the cement.  Let it dry overnight, and sand that bead of plastic down--you should have a smooth surface with no (or a minimal) seam to deal with.

I use super glue most of the time when I need to fill a seam.  Work slowly and in small sections, sand it as soon as it can be sanded, and don't leave it un-sanded overnight--it gets harder as time goes on.  You can mix it with talcum powder, artists pigments, or microballons, too--it sands easier, but doesn't leave as smooth a finish.

Try it on a scrap kit to get the feel for it.

Cheers!
Ralph

• Like 1

Just out of interest, and not answering this question directly, here is a shameless product plug!

IPMS UK produce two seam removal tools worth looking out. Check on their website.

Another great tool to use, especially when sanding on something cylindrical, is a Flex-I-File.  It is a sanding belt held in an aluminum frame, and if you gently squeeze the frame, it puts some slack in the belt that conforms to the rounded surface.

Cheers!
Ralph

Agreed Ralph! The Flexifile is a really good tool that has been around for.many years, and the belts are available in three different grits, coarse, medium and fine. The coarse is about the equivalent of a very fine sandpaper grit.I

Sometimes the glue gives out before the belts wear out so I am about to experiment in making my own belts for the flexifile by cutting strips of wet n dry paper and fine emery cloth in various grits and gluing back loops to fit the Flexifile frame.

Edited by noelsmith