Revell 1/48 F4U-4 Corsair

mustang1989

I bought this kit during the spring time for a project to do with my son , I bought one for me and one for him to build together at the same pace. After we got started we both realized that this wasn't the kit to have a beginner on so I shelved it and bought something a little easier for him. The reason behind this build was a meeting with my mentor at a church function we had over early summer. He used to build models but cant any longer due to a slight shake he has in his hands which makes him unsteady. I had asked him what his favorite WWII aircraft was(because he's into that kind of stuff) and he responded almost right away with "The Corsair". I kept that in the back of my head until September 26 when I put the wheels in motion on building this kit. What I didn't know was just how much of a challenge this build would be with all the gaps, misfits and alignment issues. I literally slaved away on this thing to get it done in time to present it as a Christmas gift by next month for him with anywhere from 30 min. to 4 hours a day being spent on it. This is the kit I'm talking about to give you all a visual (and to properly warn any innocent bystanders out there) of what I bought.

BoxArt_zps1150fc54.jpg

The fit issues alone where enough that I actually had the thing in the trash can twice! I knew if I did what I wanted and went for the Tamiya 1/48 kit that I would have had a lot better looking build with more detail but I wouldn't have been able to finish it by Christmas because thats how I am. The more detail, the more time it takes to get it done. I built her as flown as part of Black Sheep Squadron VMF-214 operated off of the USS Sicily (CVE-118) , Korea in 1951. Any ways here are the finishing photos;

CorsairFinished_zps7ba0e356.jpg

CorsairFinished003_zpsfa546767.jpg

CorsairFinished004_zpsa36fd91b.jpg

CorsairFinished005_zps03f940ff.jpg

CorsairFinished001_zps1b84e8ff.jpg

and a shot of it on the display base without the acrylic glass top on it. (It's actually a shadow box with the glass removed, mirror cut to fit and a acrylic glass top made by a local plastic glass shop.

CorsairFinished008_zps4bb428e3.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Amazing! Just getting that main canopy glass to look like it's a part of the whole canopy is a supreme accomplishment on that old Monogram Corsair. You've got some great skills and patience too!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! I had to break out the clear parts cement to make that happen with the canopy. As far as patience..................I have detailed accounts of those moments for this build. I wasn't kidding when I said that it was in the trash can.....................twice!! lol

Nice build I had built one of these a couple months ago it is actually on the aircraft forum under ba ba black sheep if you want to check it out this monogram kit frustrated me to very tough build I stuck with it this on the account that this is one of my favorite aircraft . great build love to see your work.

this monogram kit frustrated me to very tough build I stuck with it this on the account that this is one of my favorite aircraft .

This kit wound up in the dang trash can twice. Had it not been a Christmas gift and the deadline not been so close it would have stayed there and I would have came to my senses and just bought a Tamiya kit. Lesson learned though! I now have a 1/48 Tamiya F4U in the stash for the next one I build.

I do have a spare complete Revell kit in the stash if you want it though. :smiley14:

Edited by mustang1989

If you ever want to build another -4 Corsair, just get the Hasagawa kit. It has raised panel lines, but other than that, it's a stellar kit and an easy 2-3 day build OOTB, especially if ya paint everything GSB! The 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs are the top of the line as far as quality goes, but they're all -1s and -1As. Hasagawa also makes a great -5 Corsair, which can also be found in the Monogram Pro-Modeler boxing.

GIL :smiley16:

Now that I'll write down in that little black book of mine. Thanks Gil! :D

P.S. Doesn't Tamiya have the F4U1-D also? I thought I saw one with a tug.

Edited by mustang1989

Yeah...but as far as I know the only big visual difference between the -1A and -1D is the cut out in the right flap for the pilot's step. There might also be some subtle main canopy differences, but generally only in the framing and the overhead "armor".

Gil :smiley16:

I know who I'm gonna be coming to for reference pointers when I build mine. :smiley2: