French Martin 167 Maryland

JohnRatzenberger

For a Martin 167 Maryland built for, and delivered to, the French 1940-ish, what would be the probable colors for the cockpit interior, wheel wells & gear doors, and inside of the nacelles ?

I realize they may have been in US equivalents and that US companies may or may not have followed French standards, which I know nothing about anyway, so you can see I'm really reaching here.

Thanks in advance ...

Thanks, left a comment/question for him since I didn't find info scanning the posts ...

Here is a link to one of the entries. On the right side of his blog is a list of subjects. One of them is Martin Maryland.

I've been trying to pin this one down for years myself, and I've pretty much settled on unpainted aluminum. The photos of machines in service are inconclusive, but Martin didn't use interior green or zinc chromate on the interior of the Marauder, so I'm extrapolating that they had the same policy for the earlier aircraft. Of course, the Maryland was built specifically to French and later British specs, so it's possible that Martin followed those countries' interior color standards.

The National Museum of the United State Air Force website has a bunch of detail photos of a Maryland showing an unpainted interior, but this was a one-off test aircraft purchased by the USAAF for evaluation.

In short, I have yet to find a definative answer!

Steve Nelson

IPMS#30925

• 2 months later...
From what I've gathered in past few days, unpainted or lacquered aluminum, take your pick.

I'm going with a gloss aluminum, I'm only trying to make it look close -- there's no interior to see in a Frog kit and I'm not adding any ...

John, did you try plumbing the French modelers on the internet? Babel Fish is a handy translation site that handles french to english pretty well... surely, those 'guys' have figured this one out by now!

Let us know.

Robert