Monogram 1:48 Junkers Ju 87D-8

Brews

This is a simple kit, almost on the money for scale, but very simplified in some areas. OOB, the options are a D-5 flown by the famous/notorious and "high-scoring" pilot, Hans Rudel, and this one, a Nachtshchlacht "nuisance bomber" on the "Western Front". Unfortunately, the painting guide for this a/c was severely under-researched by Monogram, who had it in RLM 71 upper and 65 under. It actually would have had the ubiquitous Stuka splinter pattern of 70/71 on top, with 65 under, with some pattern of mottles or squiggles. The best-preserved photos of such machines are of NSchGw 9, based in Italy in 1944, and mine has a spurious camo loosely based on the photos of those, and on the instructions for Hasegawa's 1:32 kit. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, definitive. I'd like you to think of it as "representative".

The kit lacked much interior, so I scratched a bit, and used an MG81Z from a Revell Bf 110G after I lost the kit's MG when it came loose and rattled around somewhere inside before jamming itself somewhere. I had to scratch the DF loop and housing, as the kit didn't come with one, and all D-8s did. I also reamed out the exhaust flame dampeners. Apart from much filling and sanding, blanking off the rear of the radiator/engine bay, engraving panel lines, an aerial wire from Aeroclub rigging thread, and replacing the kit's SC50s with those left over from a Tamiya Fw 190F-8, that was it. One minor point - the kit instructions show two footholds to be placed. Only use the port side one, like I did, if you want accuracy.

This kit first emerged as a G-2 in 1968 or so, and lost its big guns in exchange for a set of bombs in 1983. I bought this in 1987. Revell repopped this circa 2005. Same kit, same decals around the same time as they were repopping Hasegawa Bs and Rs of vastly superior quality.

Gunze Sangyo Mr Aqueous Hobby Color for RLM 65, 66, 70, and 71. Squiggles in Lifecolor RLM 76 (Nowhere near my favourite RLM 76, or acrylic paint for that matter!) and RLM 65. Tamiya XF-1 for black bits, Vallejo Model Air for silver bits. Water colour pencils, Tamiya XF-19 for Smoke and panel line post-shading.

Decals were mix of original Monogram, which stuck like mad and did not silver at all, but had a glossy finish and were a tad thick, and Tamiya (swastikas, and one wing cross, which replaced a Monogram one that wouldn't move after I'd noticed that I'd placed it a little crooked). I wonder if I'd have needed the Tamiya decals at all if I'd used Microset ... I was just being lazy, I guess.

file_zps372b650b.jpg

file_zps2357eb2e.jpg

file_zps13b2b19d.jpg

file_zps1ee51d1b.jpg

file_zpsfe95529b.jpg

file_zps81396455.jpg

file_zpsfae4cd13.jpg

Edited by Brews

Very nice build of a real Monogram classic Bruce! I haven't had the guts to try that winter squiggle camo yet, but looks like yours is spot on. I also like the bomb load out, which isn't something you see often on the Ds and later Stukas. Congrats on a great build, and thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

That is awesome! There is something rather handsome about this aircraft; I always believed it was one of the best-looking of all WWII German aircraft. You did outstanding on the camo pattern and weathering; she looks 'rode hard and put away wet'.

Congrats on an excellent build.