1/350 USS Chevalier

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Okay. This is a kit I actually built for my sake. I had all the time in the world, so I took it.

I'm posting this for opinions, preferably of the critical sort. I'm about to start a 1/350 Laffey build, and I could use all the help I can get.

null_zps9e43581f.jpg

null_zps3d9338c6.jpg

null_zps0878ce28.jpg

null_zpse1a911ec.jpg

null_zps492ff96a.jpg

null_zps174e69ba.jpg

Very nice build! Well detailed. On that subject, I would suggest you use a wash on your next model. It REALLY pops out all those little details that tend to blend together. Also, I noticed on your rigging that you missed some spots when you painted it. The good news is you can still go back and easily fix that. Still a really nice model.

Super build Chris :smiley32:

I would add to what Rusty said that you should tone down the props. They look over scale in the picture (maybe not), but with the bright brass really makes them stand out more than the rest of the ship. Also use black lines for the cables and light or white for the halyards. Awesome build congrats :smiley20::smiley20:

Guest PetrolGator

Rusty - I tried. I used a vallejo wash, but I think I wiped it clean too quickly. Should I future and use oils, perhaps? What do you suggest? I hate painting something nicely, mucking the wash, then having to dry brush it to make it sort of look like the right color. It ends up looking sloppy and is a constant irritation with my builds. I'll also hit the rigging with a light and paint where necessary.

Arthur - Thanks man. Should I paint them a copper instead? I THOUGHT they were in scale, but would not be surprised.

Guys, appreciate the feedback. My goal is, as always, to get better.

Arthur - Thanks man. Should I paint them a copper instead? I THOUGHT they were in scale, but would not be surprised.

Maybe bronze would help. I have mixed my own color for bronze using Testors copper and silver, about 3:1 mix. But you can play with it a bit and use photographs as a guide. http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/724.htm Edited by sumterIII

Thanks, Arthur. Any advice on the washes?

Man this gets into personal preference. Some use acrylic black thinned down and layer. I have used Burnt Sienna oil paint thinned with turpentine, clean off excess with clean Q-Tip with turpentine. Yes in both cases I don’t see how you can get around dry-brushing for the finial finish though.

You might like this thread http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112632&hilit=propeller+color

Edited by sumterIII

Chris, I cannot comment on the rest of the build since it is far better than anything I could do. However, the wash I am most successful with is a mix of Windsor-Newton Burnt Umber Oils with Mona Lisa Thinner. Mona Lisa Thinner is the most inert thinner you can get; it goes on smooth and even while never ever attacking the undercoat. Some details would look good drybrushed as well, but with this wash; you usually don't have to do an overall drybrush to bring the color back to it's original appearance. Mona Lisa Thinner can be gotten at any Michael's or Aaron Brothers Art Marts