Clearing up a misconception about the private messenger feature on the forums

I have heard from more than a few folks that they believe forum administrators have access to private messages sent between forum members. I want to go on record here as saying this is not true. We cannot read PMs between members and wouldn't if we could. PMs are emails sent within a closed system and, as far as I'm concerned, should be treated as private conversations between the members involved. While I can't vouch for whether the government can read them or not :unsure: , I can state with confidence that no one involved in the running of these forums can access your messages.

This is also why forum rules prohibit quoting from PMs without permission from the author. They are private.

So, feel free to use the PM feature without fear of your thoughts and words being monitored.

I hope this puts an end to this misconception,

Dennis

:smiley13: That has not always been the case. I am sad to say
Ronbo

With this board software it is not possible for admins to examine PMs unless that PM is reported by the recipient as being abusive, etc. I'm not aware of any instances of that ever occurring since I took over in 2009 (?).

Eric

:smiley13: That has not always been the case. I am sad to say
Ronbo

Perhaps the earlier version of the forum software had this flaw, I can't say. I came aboard after we had upgraded to the new forum software.