POCHER IS BACK !

noelsmith

When Hornby took over Rivarossi, they also gained the assets of Pocher. There has been speculation about the big Pocher kits being produced once again, and which of the Pocher kits would be released first. There will be an announcement made at the 2013 Nuremberg Toy Fair in Germany from what I have heard, and rumour has it that it will be a newly tooled up kit of the Lamborghini Aventador, and not one of the previous kits released before their demise. If indeed this is true, maybe the new Pocher will be looking towards modern supercars rather than Vintage Classics.

Hornby are the holding company that includes Airfix, so I guess that they may be using their expertise to make this new kit. Will it be the traditional 1/8th scale favoured by the Pocher of old, or will the new kit be in a different scale? Lets see.

I hope they bring back some of the old stuff too, the quality was way ahead of it time. I had two kits from 40 years ago, hope they are equal to the task now.

Sorry, but I have to disagree...I built a couple of Pochers, and while they are very detailed, they were very poorly engineered, with metal screws going into very brittle plastic parts, especially the frame rails. Pocher kits need a massive amount of work and there is a large aftermarket industry for making Pocher kits "right". I wouldn't even take one if someone gave it to me....just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Kevin.

Pochers look fabulous when built to a high standard. The older ones are definitely not for the faint hearted, and need a hell of a lot of work done to them. Only highly skilled car modellers need apply!

There must be shedloads of part built Pocher kits all around the world where the owners with, shall we say lesser skills, have given up on them due to the indifferent quality.

It was a big leap of faith by Hornby by resurrecting the Pocher name and making the new Aventador kit. Hopefully by using the expertise of Airfix who they now own, the parts on this new kit should fit quite well. I understand that the body will be pre painted die cast metal so hopefully this will see a great improvement over the old Pocher F40 and Testarossa kits.

Not sure what the retail price will be, but it was rumoured that in the UK it would be £500.00 sterling. We shall see.

• 1 year later...

Latest is that Hornby will be releasing an open top version of the Pocher Lamborghini Aventador.

Also their Airfix division has released a small snap together plastic kit of the Bugatti Veyron. I did not see a scale advertised on their website. Maybe it will be in 1/32nd scale? What is interesting is that it looks as though Hornby have a licence to make kits of the Veyron...........Will a 1/8th scale Pocher Bugatti Veyron make it to market? Lets see!

• Like 1

I'm with Kevin and Noel. My dad bought a Pocher Rolls Royce back around '75 and even as a kid (well, high school kid) I thought the detail was iffy and the engineering such that it would take a LOT of very careful work to make it look good. The kit was lost, part-built when the house burnt in about '90. The individual spoke wheels were kind of cool.

I still have all four of the original kits. After looking at the Rolls Royce in the box, I closed it up for a later day that has never come 40 years later. Two of them are in the original shrink wrap; never touched. The complexity taught me to not invest in any of the subsequent Pocher kits for the sheer cost of having a shelf box. I bought mine at a K-Mart 80%-off discount sale. I assume people are still looking for these kits.

Ed

Hi Ewahl, I have a complete unbuilt Pocher Mercedes...One of the originals where the wire wheels have to be built with individual spokes. Also parts of one of the older Rolls kits when the radiator shell was fabricated from brass and plated. I have enough bits to build up a model of the chassis as used to be supplied to coachbuilders. All the bodywork parts had been taken from the kit when I got it. But I do have enough for a semi scratch built project.

Must get around to doing something with them someday!

One of the Pochers that I do not have is the Bugatti Type 50 Coupe. As an experienced modeller, I would dearly like to build one of these ( the original coupe version kit not the superprofil) and place it on permanent display at the Bugatti Trust's Museum at the Bugatti Owners Club's Prescott Hill Climb course here in the UK. Unfortunately, they are getting difficult to find. I would be happy to get a model that maybe has been abandoned during construction due to the complexity and the iffy fit of some of the parts.

Will have to keep looking!!!!