Car Model

aAzZ09

I don't build cars but my wife would like to see at least one someday. I get to choose the subject, a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. If so, can I find conversion parts for the Revell/Monogram '71 "Cuda? Also, the accented "hockey stick" graphic art sometimes offered as an option on the real car, i.e., "340", "440", or in this case, "Hemi", in either a black or white color. Thanks,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

Thanks Rob. Best,

Mark

I had always thought Revell's '71 Hemi Cuda and '70 AAR Cuda kits used the same body and would be a natural for part swapping a '70 Hemi, but I was curious and googled this and found I was way wrong. Apparently the '70 AAR kit was based on the Challenger T/A kit, however the Challenger is a (slightly) longer car with longer wheel base, and the resulting 'Cuda came out with a horribly wrong shape. There are some great articles on the Scale Auto and Model Car sites about doing major surgery using these two kits to get a proper '70.

I also found this, claiming Revell has an all new (accurate) kit of a '70 Cuda in the works (includes pix of test shots): http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/general_discussion/f/13/t/111495.aspx Given that the '71 is a pretty old kit with a simple (by today's standards) Hemi, it might be worth waiting for the new kit.

Thanks Don. Best,

Mark

Mark, as you've obviously discovered already, the 70 and 71 Cuda models have many differences and cannot be built using one for the other. The "hockey stick" stripes that you speak of are for the 70 model. The 71 model graphics package would have been called a billboard as it covers a good portion of the rear quarter panels. Most kits, and their respective resissues, would have had either black or white billboards available in them. However, if you want to build something with a bit more flair to it, there is a seller on Ebay that offers 71 Cuda billboard decals in a muriad of colors, for many different callouts, I.E., 340, 440, Hemi, etc.. I'm not sure of the user name but if you do a search under automotive models for 71 Cuda decals your bound to find them. I've picked up at least two sets, one in red and one in blue, for a much different look.

Hello Wayne: Thank you for your assistance. I recently discovered a blurb in Scale Auto magazine that Revell plans to release a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda next year ('13). In what scale, I'm not sure, possibly in 1/25". (I was a young muscle car enthusiast then, and I remain that way now, although I really don't build model cars as such. If I ever win the lottery, I'd like to buy one car from that era and race it once a year at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races held each year in Stanton, Michigan every September (psmcdr.com) . That is part of my middle age insanity, and on my "bucket list"). So there may be some decent " Hockey Stick" graphics to go with the kit, maybe not. I'll probably wait until then and complete my P-6E Hawk biplane, which I'm in the final stages of. Again, thanks for your help. Happy New Year,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct in what you heard. Revell is indeed releasing a newly tooled 70 Hemi Cuda. Test shots have already been viewed at a large contest in New Jersey back in October of last year. The kit looks good and I'm sure that there will be good hockey stick stripes included. No set timetable as to when this will be available though.