VK1602 Suspension Questions

RickC5

I recently bought the 1/35 Hobby Boss model of this "Paper Panzer" and am ready to start building except for one odd thing: The kit instructions show TWO different suspension/road wheel options--one with two outer road wheels and one with three outer road wheels. All online references show only two outer road wheels, with no mention of the 3-wheel version anywhere. Interesting to note that the 3-wheel version actually looks better to me--more like a mini-Panther.

So why the option? Was there some consideration of two versions, or is Hobby Boss just dreaming and did this simply because they could? The difference in the options is the placement of the torsion bars and the interleaving of the various road wheels. Oh yeah, and the rear idler wheel is much larger in diameter on the 2-wheel version than the idler wheel of the 3-wheel version.

If I'm not convinced differently, I'll likely build the simpler looking, two outer road wheel version as that seems to be the more "generally accepted" version that would have been produced.

Opinions? Comments? Any additional knowledge of the VK1602 out there? TIA for any help.

I only said that cuz all my online research only showed drawings of the two-outer-road-wheel version. Therefore, most researchers seem to have accepted that version as the "Most Likely to Succeed".

Unless of course you know differently.

I haven't a clue.

Rick,

Haha....I build mostly Middle East Wars armor, the few Germany vehicles are well documented and definitely not paper. Best of luck with your hunt!!!

Mark,

No doubt this Paper Panzer business is pretty much a joke & something to be laughed at. This VK1602 is my second Paper Panzer and I only bought it because it looks so much like a mini-Panther. I never built the first one (IIRC, a Maus or something) and just eBay'ed it eventually. But, I'll likely build this one.

I noticed no one will even attempt to naswer my question on ML--likely because those guys frequently turn every Paper Panzer question into a hornet's nest of controversy. At least we have a sense of humor on this forum & can laugh at ourselves. Ha-ha.

They don't call is a Paper Panzer for nothing. Build it the way you want. Anyway you build it will be correct. A paper panzer is a design concept that was never built. I can't help you either as I can't find anything to back up what your asking.

Happy building

Chris

Rick,

Never get the ML guys going! I do more lurking after the Veterans Day frackus than anything else. I agree. It's a paper panzer, who's gonna prove you wrong? I did however, find this picture that shows three outers with side skirts also!

http://www.achtungpa...isance-tank.htm

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I found that picture too, but was perplexed by the depiction of the large idler (usually seen with the tw-road-wheel option) being used with the three road wheels.

I also found this comment about the kit online:

The kit offers two different style road wheel patterns. Basically you decide if you want two or three outside wheels. Depending on which version you choose depends on the positioning of the torsion bar arms and which read idler wheel is used. I found no photo or drawing reference for the three outside wheel version, most drawings indicate two outside wheels. The most common two outside wheel version does not fit with the referenced rear idler wheel. But the reference material indicates the three wheel rear idler wheel, which clearly will not fit. I choose the two outside wheels with the different rear idler wheel.

I can only assume the builder/reviewer used the small idler with the two-road-wheel version. That's what his photos seem to show.

Hey! Maybe I'll try to build THAT variation. Who could say it isn't correct!!! Moreover, who cares?

Maybe we've squeezed all the available water out of this rock.......

Edited by RickC5