1/72 Panzer Iv Question

Grant

I just finished a fine book by Osprey called "Modelling the Panzer IV in 1/72 Scale" by Alex Clark.

The book was written in 2004. He based most of his how-to stuff on the Revell Germany Panzer IV H and J kits. Some of kits started as Hasegawas, but they ended up being more Revell than Hasegawa.

I thought...neat...let's try some of these techniques.

Here's the problem:

The Revell kits are out of production. :smiley19:

Now there are fine Dragon kits out there, and the Hasegawa kits are nothing to sneeze at, but where would one get a really solid example of a Panzer IV J these days? Mirage makes nice C and D models.

Should I wait for Dragon or Mirage to put one forth, or is a vendor still selling the Revell kits out there?

I don't know anything about armor but www.Scalehobbyist.com and www.tudayshobbymodels.com both seem to have them in stock for under $10.00 . A quick google check showed several others. I may be way off base again. . .

Mike

Thanks Mike.

There sure are a lot of online shops. I usually hover around 2 or 3 others, but these look good to me.

The Scalehobbyist site shows that Dragon will be coming out with these kits soon. Now I'm very interested.

Grant

Thanks Mike.

There sure are a lot of online shops. I usually hover around 2 or 3 others, but these look good to me.

The Scalehobbyist site shows that Dragon will be coming out with these kits soon. Now I'm very interested.

Grant

Grant, Dragon has been promising these for years. I wouldn't hold my breath. Some good kits to look at are the old ESCI or re-released Italeri models. Good models with some solid engineering and pretty good detail. Quite easy to assemble, although occasionally some fit issues may crop up due to the age of the molds.

Airfix does a PzIV as well, but it seems to be a 'generic' kind. Not sure what particular 'mark' it is, but it builds well and looks good. It might be able to be made into a 'J' with a few aftermarket conversion bits or some added scratchbuilding.

It's been decades since I've built a Pz IV, much less a 'J', so my memory may be a bit sketchy here.

Here is a great site that will give you some more comprehensive info on anything Pz IV related:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/

Good luck on that model. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.