Tamiya Skyraider 1/48 OOB build

phantomordie

I am building a Skyraider for an OOB build possibly to enter a contest. I want to leave the engine exposed and have searched for a good head on pic of the 3350 so I could add some detailing. Anyone know of a good head on pic on a website or mabye you have a book you could scan me a pic.Thanks

This site has a few that may be of some help. It's a Navy AD though. HTH.

AD-5 Site

....and have you tried Squadrons Walk Around No.27 yet?

Edited by Weedeater

I am building a Skyraider for an OOB build possibly to enter a contest. I want to leave the engine exposed and have searched for a good head on pic of the 3350 so I could add some detailing. Anyone know of a good head on pic on a website or mabye you have a book you could scan me a pic.Thanks

Does the kit come with an engine, and removable panels? Otherwise, if you're adding them as aftermarket, it's no longer "OOB" according to IPMS rules. You also mentioned you wanted to "add some detailing"....again, when you do it's no longer OOB.

Regardless, I'd like to see some pics of it as you do the project!

Does the kit come with an engine, and removable panels? Otherwise, if you're adding them as aftermarket, it's no longer "OOB" according to IPMS rules. You also mentioned you wanted to "add some detailing"....again, when you do it's no longer OOB.

Regardless, I'd like to see some pics of it as you do the project!

The Tamiya kit comes with an engine and I'm under the impression that some detail can be added as long as you don't use parts from another kit.

Your impression is mistaken!

OOTB means you use ONLY the parts that came in the box, as they were molded. You can thin kit parts for a more scale appearance, but you cannot surgically alter them to another configuration (in other words, you could NOT droop the elevators on the stabilzers, nor could you slice open the closed engine cowl to show off engine details). Also, if you add ANYTHING in the way of detailing (with the exception of seat belts/buckles), it's no longer OOTB.

The full rules can be found at: http://ipmsusa.org/NCC/NCC.htm (just click onto Contest Rules and scroll down to the OOTB rules).

There's NOTHING wrong with your project, it just wouldn't qualify for the OOTB category. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Your impression is mistaken!

OOTB means you use ONLY the parts that came in the box, as they were molded. You can thin kit parts for a more scale appearance, but you cannot surgically alter them to another configuration (in other words, you could NOT droop the elevators on the stabilzers, nor could you slice open the closed engine cowl to show off engine details). Also, if you add ANYTHING in the way of detailing (with the exception of seat belts/buckles), it's no longer OOTB.

The full rules can be found at: http://ipmsusa.org/NCC/NCC.htm (just click onto Contest Rules and scroll down to the OOTB rules).

There's NOTHING wrong with your project, it just wouldn't qualify for the OOTB category. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks