Two 'great War' Questions

VonL

Two semi-unrelated questions:

1 - Where might I find a list of WWI flyers with some sort of South Dakota connection? (birthplace, school, National Guard or unit association, etc, etc)

2 - Where might I find a kit of the 1/72 scale Caquot (allied) observation balloon? Roseplanes made one, but they appear to be moribund. I inquired about Roseplanes kits with their new biz-ness owner via email and received a reply that was negative...and pretty terse.

Your thoughts...?

Guest Chrgr440RT

I can only help you with the first one, but here goes. The military services are very good at keeping track of their history. If you contact the National Guard burea in S Dakota they should be able to give you something. Likewise, you might be able to get something through the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. Finally, as a last resort a lot of bases have some type of info about famous veterans from the area they are in. You don't have a whole lot unfortunately, just Ellsworth AFB and Joss Foss field (Air Guard).

Hope this helps. By the way, the Air Force museum has a Caquot balloon in their WW1 gallery. It fills a good portion of that building.

Have you checked out the Board Gaming suppliers? Seems the Caquot is a staple in the 1/72 WW1 board gaming world. The E-zine Board Game News noted that Italian Publisher Nexus Editrice was putting out a 1/72 Caquot this year. I don't have a clue what any of this means but thought I'd share for what it's worth. . . Good Luck

Mike

Thanx fellaz - some great thoughts here. The South Dakota state veterans' websites do have a lot of good stuff, but it's mostly WWII onward. No big hurry on the Caquot balloon, so I'll take or get some pix at the NMUSAF and keep eyes open for one of those. There was a Mack-truck variant that served as the AEF's utility truck for the balloon; have seen a couple in grainy pix, but will pro'lly need more than that to build one.

Well...the search is half the fun! And it's not like I don't have a zillion others in line ahead of these.

CHEERS!

Von_L