A Rare B1rd

ikar

Hi Gang,

The vast majority of the XC-99 is now at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, all spread out in front of the restoration area. Maybe I can get out there and take some shots. I have no idea about the restoration schedule or priority, but at best it will be a very long time. As much as I would like to see this bird back in her glory, reality tells me that Memphis Belle and Swoose hold the trump cards, and begrudgingly, rightly so.

It's good to see someone else with an interest in the XC-99. I took a lot of shots in '84, but they are all packed away now.

I took these when the ship was parked alongside the road outside Kelly AFB and Lackland AFB. I was TDY to Lackland for a few weeks of school before returning to SEA and walked off Lackland to Kelly. For an entry fee of .50 cents the custodian let me walk through the entire ship except for the wings. It was well worth the long walk and back to go inside and get these shots.

Well guys,

I had a whole batch of photos of the parts of the XC-99 stored in front of the USAF Museum restoration ara in the camera this afternoon and ALMOST made it off base before the skycops nabbed me. :smiley18: I was 50 feet from the gate! In the post 9-11 world, photos on base are taboo, as they feel that a bad guy could use a shot of a building to compromise the security around it, or some such thing.

Anyway, they made me delete the photos from the camera. Wouldn't take my word that I would do it later either. Since he had the flashing lights and 9mm, I stepped up and pushed the "format" button. And he watched it "format" before he let go of the camera too.

Maybe I'll try again some time when it is dark and no one can see me :rolleyes:

I have a few I took when the first pieces came in. Let's see if I can get it posted and how big will it be.

Looks like I need to read up on that a bit. Will try later.