Vargas 1/72 Mk VIII international

Ron Bell

After getting the replacement parts I needed, I whipped this little gem together as it only has 19 parts and seven of those are the MGs. it's a very nice detailed printing, but like most 3D models I have encountered, has some fit problems. I put this down to very close tolerances that are possible by using computer renderings but limitations of the materials that may either very slightly expand and/or contract. The side track units did not fit over the raised locator rib on the center hull for one area and I had to "modify" the ribs accordingly, In addition, the gun shields did not fit in the sponson openings and needed to be filed down to fit and the 6pdr guns did not fit through the slots in the gun shields so those needed widening. None of this was major surgery, but when working on such kits make sure you test fit everything. As far as the subject itself, Its was a joint Allied effort with production to take place in both Britain and the US and was intended to be used in what was going to be the "last great offensive" of WWI in 1919, but the war ended before they could be used. In the end, very few were actually built. The British only built 31 total, 5 of which were sent to Bovington for testing and the rest were sent directly to the knackers yard. In the US they equipped the 67th Infantry Regiment (Tank). (A quirk in the law at that time said that all tanks had to be part of the infantry.) They were seen as unreliable and prejudiced a whole generation of US Army Officers against the use of heavy tanks.  All were phased out by 1934 with some being sold to Canada at scrap value for training vehicles. Perhaps it's greatest success was as the inspiration for the tank in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", although that vehicle was actually a replica built from a modified excavator with a turret added on top. I have added a photo of the MkVIII next to the much used MkIV tank to illustrate the size of this beast. 

PXL_20231015_171218573.jpg

PXL_20231015_171249221.jpg

PXL_20231015_171238231.jpg

PXL_20231015_171229848.jpg

PXL_20231015_171732991.jpg

• Like 3

That is so magnificent! I would love to have that model, I'll have to go see if I can get one. Way to go Ron!

I might even get three, one for Britain, one for the US and one for Canada. Hmmm......

15 hours ago, Richard said:

Nice job on the tracks!  🤩

Richard, I have recently changed my approach to painting tracks. Now I paint them a medium/dark grey. Then a heavy black wash. Then a rust colored wash. Then a dry brushing with aluminum to show wear. Thanks for the compliment, by the way. 

• Like 1