Oranges and Tomatoes

1 hour ago, jcorley said:

There is one major flaw in most dioramas:

A weak or non-existent story!

From the rules:

"Dioramas are story-centric, specifically built to tell a story or convey a message."

I agree completely. I lobbied for this for years and finally people started doing it. Of course, what is a good story is subjective. I have still seen a number of winners that obviously got picked because of the volume of work and not how well the story was done. But generally, IPMS is getting much better at picking a good story which actually makes sense. I learned my diorama building from Shep Paine and a good story was always the focus.

What I hate seeing is a good story done poorly with poorly executed models and figures. Or a really beautiful model with a poorly executed story.

I really hope they put the dioramas in the middle of the room at Las Vegas and not jammed up against the wall like in Chattanooga. In the middle of the room, you can see them much better.

Dak

16 hours ago, Dakimbrell said:

I really hope they put the dioramas in the middle of the room at Las Vegas and not jammed up against the wall like in Chattanooga. In the middle of the room, you can see them much better.

Dak

I think this is a good idea because it gives the viewer the ability to see all sides of the diorama. Perhaps you should post this in the convention thread or directly to Boblvnv himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShutterAce said:

I think this is a good idea because it gives the viewer the ability to see all sides of the diorama. Perhaps you should post this in the convention thread or directly to Boblvnv himself.

Putting them in the middle, then the facility safety or fire marshall may get involved.   I advocated for a local member with his diorama which requires electricity.   Had him contact the Contest Coordinator (his bailey-wick anyway) for power access, that and the requirement to reserve space for an oversized entry.   Running power cords across the floor become a trip hazard, even when taped down.  Worse yet are jury-rigged extension cords.   

At the best the power cords may be a speed bump for the guy rolling the cart of models across the room.  At worst the guy's labor of love falls to the floor, that or someone breaks something.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If I remember correctly they were against the wall with the junior/youth entries at Loveland. Regardless, with the myriad of portable power options available there really is no reason that I can see to require the use of 110/125 volt outlets. I would think most of the electronics likely to be used nowadays would be low voltage. Get yourself a portable power source and you can display your creation anywhere.