Gloss Paint Dried Flat???

I'm working on the AMT 1/25 scale 1953 Corvette model; circa 1996. Its a "snapfast" kit; I've always wanted a model of the '53 Vette and this must have been the only one available when I bought it.

Anyway, the body is 1-piece, closed hood trunk and doors, molded in white plastic. I read somewhere that unpainted plastic looks like unpainted plastic, so I paint my car bodies. I shot it with a new can of Krylon gloss white paint and after it dried, the finish was flat!

I figured the can must have been mis-labeled, never happened to me but stuff happens...

So I finish painting the "chrome" trim etc. and shoot it with a (used) can of Glosscote - and it dried flat too!

I live in north Phoenix and both paint jobs were done in about 80 degree weather, bone dry.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

At first I was thinking maybe the plastic had something to do with the white drying flat but that shouldn't have anything to do with the cover coat. The instructions don't say anything about paint except a note on the box top about "no painting required". 

After the glosscote episode, I tried the Krylon on a piece of scrap and it dried glossy...

Sorry you have been having this issue. I find white to be the most difficult color to paint. On my 1953 and 1954 Corvette models I used a gloss clear that said it never yellows but over the years both have begun to do just that.

Now for the question. Did you prime the body before painting? On my 1954 I primed the body with white primer and on the 1953 I used gray then white primers. The '54 has yellowed the most but it was built about 10 years earlier than the '53 and I learned a little more about paint.

Sorry I don't have any idea why your paint dried flat but I just had to respond because I am a Vettehead and love talking about, building models of and driving Corvettes.

Have a nice day and as they say in the Corvette world "Save the Wave".

David Von Almen, Gentleman modeler

Hi David. Thanks for your reply; to answer your question, no, I didn't prime the body.  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Maybe I should be more consistent if I expect to get consistent results!