Testor's Washes and Stains

Wilky

Has anyone used Testor's washes and stains? I guess they have been out for awhile but I just barely found them.

Thanks,

Ron W.

Edited by Wilky

Ron, I've been using them on my latest build, and they work really well. They have 2 different formulations, acrylic and enamel, and I have used both. After using both, I'll be sticking with the acrylics. The enamel washes, no matter how much time you give your paint to cure, even with a lacquer clearcoat, will attack the paint underneath if you're using paints like Testor's Model Master. The acrylics can pretty much go on as soon as your paint and clear coat are tack-free, and won't attack the paint or clear coat, no matter how long the wash sits.

Eagle

• Like 1

Thanks Eagle. I use Testor's mostly, so I will stick to the acrylics too.

Ron W.

I have found that the acrylic washes are quite "dense" in pigmentation, so I usually dilute them. I also find that they need a wetting agent, such as alcohol or just dish soap, as they puddle up instead of spreading out over the entire surface. Finally, remember, wherever that wash dries, being acrylic it stays, so be careful where/how you apply them.

• Like 1

Thanks Ron for the additional info. I take they can be thinned with alcohol or Testor's Acrylic Thinner? I have a few bottles of it.

Ron W.