Some "sculpting" advice ?

JohnRatzenberger

Here's my project - my first ever attempt at a figure/bust, other than a few sorry air and vehicle crew.

0_boxart.jpg

It is the Pony Soldier bust of "Nathan Brittles", but as you can see, and they admit on the instruction sheet, it isn't John Wayne. For those who don't know: John Ford, Cavalry Trilogy, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Nathan Brittles, John Wayne.

I'd like to modify the bust to look more like the movie character. I'll leave the long hair alone. I think I can figure how to carefully sand the (resin) chin to a more rounded shape; that the face will not be as full I'll ignore.

The moustache is a problem - actually two problems because assuming I get it cut down, then we'll find that we have no lips under it.

Any suggestions on a way to deal with the moustache & lips without trashing the whole thing ?

TIA.

And yes, this is probably a stretch idea given I don't even know how to paint figures, but ....

• 2 weeks later...

One good thing is that John Wayne had very thin lips. ;)

3874_059.jpg

My fav is Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I would use that to fill in sides of the mouth after his mustache is cut. Aves works with water, and once dry (in about 2 hrs.) you can continue to sand and/or carve it. But who knows. If you go slow and take your time you may just need so delicate sanding to get rid of the remnants of the mustache. Looking fwd to see WIP pics. HTH

Thanks, I kinda blundered forged ahead on my own, loosing the walrus-look and taking some bulk out before I chickened out. I also took down the jutty-chin a bit and built up between the chin & lower lip a bit. I got under the moustache with a sharp blade and took the lower lip down.

12_doneprep.jpg

Better, I think - never be exact. I'll do some more pix once I get a reasonable face paint job ....

BTW, sorry about the shadow from the hat - got to do better at photo'ing also ...

Hey that looks well done. If you wanted you could even take the 'stache down a bit more and then replace the hair with the Aves.

I recently did a MoonDevil Studio Abominable snowman and used it to close up the seams on the hairy guy -

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RnHvyMDRx-Y/VEA8ra7pLdI/AAAAAAAAAyI/LXX2IjrSw9A/s1600/IMG_2862%2B(2).JPG

It's not a great pic but you can see around the shoulder that with a dental tool and Aves, you can redo any type of hair you want. Just remember scale and "there is symmetry in asymmetry." :smiley2: Keep going. Can't wait to see more.