In honor of the late Ernest Borgnine

Maximillian from the Disney movie Mr. Borgnine was in, The Black Hole, will be my next rebuild project. I built this kit in the early 80s. It is an MPC kit of an unknown scale; probably 1:6 or 1:8. It is complete, but the hands have broken off of the robot's arms. I did not paint the kit back then; it was molded in the maroon plastic. I did paint the mechanical hands silver. The kit came with two extra hands (an open and closed claw) as options. I've got the display base somewhere, It consisted of a diamond shaped base with a curved metal rod that gave Max the illusion of hovering.

If memory serves me, Ernest Borgnine's character is a member of the spaceship Palomino that runs across the long missing Cygnus spaceship. Max is the enforcer on the Cygnus keeping the robot crew in line. Sort of a Darth Vader to the show. Borgnine's character panics and attempts to flee the Cygnus leaving the rest of the crew behind, but the Palomino is destroyed on take off.

7543780136_ed5980d8a9_b.jpg

"The Black Hole" has been on TV recently! Still interesting and fun after all these years.