What's on your "Shelf of Shame" and why?

Mark Deliduka

• 4 months later...

I'm a new member to this stuff but thought I might have a suggestion, Bill. My wife is a avid cross stitcher and I have found that a strand of her cross stitch thread works pretty well. (don't tell her I took it though :smiley2: ) I used it on my Wright flyer and it looks original and is fairly easy to use. Plus DMC has about 500+ colors.

Hey guys, I'm a long time member but kind of new at this posting stuff. I have an ICM Heinkel He-51-a on my SOS and here's the reason why. The kit goes together pretty well but because it's a bi-plane you need to the rigging. I've tried using mono-filiment fishing line with superglue and it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, I finally relegated the kit to my SOS until I get better at rigging. It is in 1/72 scale, so I'm sure that's part of the reason. However I just haven't found the right technique for rigging bi-planes. Anyone got an answer?

Thanks,

Bill Kreuger

I've been rather happy using guitar string for rigging 1/72 biplanes. It is nice stiff steel wire, just cut to length and super glue or epoxy into place (I prefer epoxy due to the longer working time). A superlight E string is .008" wire, and costs $2 or so, less if you buy in bulk. In scale it works out to be around 1/2" which I have been told is about right for the support wires of most biplanes.

I currently have 2 on this shelf. One is the Monogram 1:48 B17 which was a fun build on the interior, however, when it came to the windows, forget it. This is a new chinese manufactured kit and the windows don't fit. I test fitted them in the opening and they fell through. They simply weren't the right size. Because of this and a few other obstacles, I finally became frustrated and it is on the 'shelf'. Another is Revells 1:48 F4U-4 Corsair. Another chinese fiasco. Nothing fits properly and they must have run out of plastic on this one. It is really thin. May have to go to the more expensive Japanese models to get quality.