Piasecki H-16 Transporter

Nick Filippone

Last night, the Military Channel ran a show about the development of American military helicopters. Featured were film clips of the Piasecki H-16 Transporter. While most were in the familiar natural metal finish, (which would be a real challenge in the Revell kit), one brief clip showed it in what appeared to be overall orange (dayglo)? Does anyone have any further info on this scheme including other markings and serial numbers? I have always wanted to build this model, but the thought of removing all the rivets, re-introducing the lost raised detail.....and then painting it natural metal is just too overwhelming. Thanks. Nick Filippone

• 8 months later...
Last night, the Military Channel ran a show about the development of American military helicopters. Featured were film clips of the Piasecki H-16 Transporter. While most were in the familiar natural metal finish, (which would be a real challenge in the Revell kit), one brief clip showed it in what appeared to be overall orange (dayglo)? Does anyone have any further info on this scheme including other markings and serial numbers? I have always wanted to build this model, but the thought of removing all the rivets, re-introducing the lost raised detail.....and then painting it natural metal is just too overwhelming. Thanks. Nick Filippone

Nick, did you or anyone else out there come across any further evidence/documentation supporting this find?

FWIW, I searched YouTube and found this:

...and it appears towards the end of the 2:32 clip. Sure looks Day Glo orange to me. Maybe some natural metal still visible around the cabin windows.