USN VP-94 Aircraft

mtncolonel

I build models based on my personal experience with the subject. That's why I build Army helicopters, as I have a lot of flight time with them - no, I'm not a military pilot. I spent my last 6 years in civil service with DON in New Orleans - COMNAVARESFOR HRO New Orleans - and spent much time at NAS New Orleans (actually, Belle Chasse, LA). VP-94 - the Crawfishers - was there flying P3C Orions, and I will model a Hasegawa 1/72 model for them. My model has JMSDF decals, and I will need 1/72 Navy decals for it, which should not be hard to get. The main item needed is the unique insignia of VP-94, with the outline of Louisiana with a crawfish - mudbug - in front. Does anyone know if such a decal in 1/72 might be available, or will I need to try making it on my computer? The image is on several websites. I haven't tried printing decals yet, but this might be a good start.

One other question I have is about the P2V Neptunes that VP-94 flew prior to the P3C's. Does anyone know of USN decals for this model in 1/72 - I have another Hasegawa model with JMSDF decals. Most of all, would anyone know if this aircraft had the unique crawfish insignia on the tail, as the P3C's did? I may have to ask this question to retired members of VP-94.

I printed the squadron emblem on my P3 on a HP inkjet printer and white decal Paper,coated with Testors gloss coat and used microset and Sol for applications. I was very happy with the Results.

P3OrionVP8AircraftEmblem.jpg

Good Luck

• 4 months later...

John,

You might contact the PAO for the squadron. They usually have a squadron history and just might have a photo of their P2v's.

I might have a spare set of original decals that were produced for the P2 when Hasegawa first molded the kit. How quicly do you need them?

Tony