Using green screens

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

OK, two things.

1) I'm an engineer, ergo, I like to complicate things from a technical side.

2) I like efficiency.

That being said, I don't feel like making a ton of different back drops for my ships. I'm thinking about using a science project foam board coated with neon green paper (green screen) and replacing said backdrop with a photograph of my liking. I DO have Photoshop (legally) and can't see any huge technical issues.

Anyone ever attempted this?

Guest PetrolGator

SOUNDS simple, eh? I'm worried about losing rigging in the transition. Still, imagine the Zeppy with this in the background:

godzilla-in-water_890052.jpg

AWW SHEET! IT'S GODZILLA!

Thanks for reinforcing my confidence, Jim. I'll run a trail in the next few days and post it here. Green poster paper is cheap.

• 1 month later...

Green screen in photoshop is pretty easy...you can use the mask pallette to block out the green, just beware of a couple gotchas:

1) The green screen needs to be as evenly lit as possible

2) Beware of green spill...that is, reflected light from the green screen falling on the model and messing up your matte. The further the green screen is from the model, the better. Aluminum finishes could be troublesome.

An alternative to green screen is an old film trick: you lock down the camera and take one exposure in normal light, then backlight the model and take a second exposure with the model in silhouette. You can then use the second exposure as a mask for the first.