Correcting The Aurora Flying Sub--part 2

ewahl

Let's pick up from where we left off.

Check the oversize figure again with the corrected door panel.

FlyingSub10.jpg

This photo shows the three wall panels on the starboard side and rear of the cabin. The fiber optics in the panels provide the necessary detail. The reactor wall has a light box behind it, but it is not active in this shot. The thin white plastic allows the bright work lights I used to shine through.

FlyingSub12.jpg

This interior shot from the back shows the port side walls and the front window frame.

FlyingSub14.jpg

Here's a look at the interior through the front windows.

FlyingSub15.jpg

Looking down, the cabin looks pretty impressive.

FlyingSub17.jpg

This is what the reactor wall looks like when lit up with 6 minilamps in the light box. Sorry, nothing cascades or flickers. To get the colors, I filled the light box with pieces and strips of colored cellophane and used Dullcote on the back of the window to diffuse the shapes and colors.

FlyingSub18.jpg

Again, the three starboard wall sides are shown, with the reactor light box lit. When fully assembled, each control panel on each wall will have a dedicated light box behind it to put light into the fiber optics.

FlyingSub19.jpg

Some day . . . I hope to finish this project. I'm at the point of building and detailing two 1/72 seats for the pilots. The pilots themselves must be created wearing the proper flight attire. Then on to other problems with the exterior.

I hope you've enjoyed this mini-book I've posted in two parts here.

Wow! That is some serious accurizing work ewahl! I've also noticed many flaws in the interior panel detailing, but did my best to work with them, you've taken it quite a bit further, very impressive! I can only hope the Moebius version, at around 14 inches in diameter, got those details better than this old kit did! That's slated to be released in late '08, to early '09.

Marvelous work, really enjoyed seeing your work, and sketches on this project, thanks for sharing! :smiley20:

Thanks Simon, James, and Keith, for your kind comments. This may be a sci-fi subject, but the skills involved are really not any different than those used to superdetail an aircraft's cockpit, a car's engine, or a ship's superstructure. The key to success in any scratchbuilding project is careful attention to the details in your references and then attempting to duplicate them in miniature. You guys do equally impressive work on the models you post. :smiley14:

Ed

Thanks Simon, James, and Keith, for your kind comments. This may be a sci-fi subject, but the skills involved are really not any different than those used to superdetail an aircraft's cockpit, a car's engine, or a ship's superstructure. The key to success in any scratchbuilding project is careful attention to the details in your references and then attempting to duplicate them in miniature. You guys do equally impressive work on the models you post. :smiley14:

Ed

Thank you kindly ewahl, I noticed you do good sketches first, something I do as well. That's an important step to doing any conversion or accurizing. The better the reference material, and you getting familiar with it, the better the results. That's how it's done guys, and those were very good sketches, well done! :smiley20:

• 1 year later...

This looks fantastic. I have the kit and have picked up soemthings to correct the kit like a new floor, but I have not started it yet. Actually mine is the Monogram repop. They had a thread on this someone did one Hobbytalk, I got to see it at one of my first Wonderfest events about 5-6 years ago. He did such a great job I didn't touch mine because I know it wouldn't measure up.

I found the link for it if you are interested....

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.p...ighlight=flying