Large scale space craft

canuck

This will sound crazy how about the madness of a super kit of a 1/32 scale space shuttle , Orion or Dragon

Capsule

Since we have B-25 in large scale and B-17 which are great

Space stuff in large scale

Our local science center has a huge 1/48 scale Saturn V that looks like a double-size copy of the old Revell 1/96 kit; I've heard rumors that Revell built these kits back in the day for museums (if anyone can confirm that I'd love to know the details).

I'm guessing if NASA ever manages to fly an Orion we'll get a kit of it from Revell or maybe Dragon, but probably in 1/48. A 1/32 Orion capsule would be reasonably sized; the real thing is only about 20% larger than an Apollo capsule, and back in the day Revell did a 1/32 Apollo CSM. If we're thinking big, lets think 1/24!

Don

There's a number of flying rocketry kits that will get you most of the way there if not all the way. If you're not going to fly them then construction would be simpler, but you'll still need to scratch build the little fiddly bits and engine bell(s) depending on the kit. Some Tripoli guys built and launched a 1/10th scale Saturn V. I have a Black Brant X that's a little over 8' tall that came from a Public Missiles kit.

Awhile back SpaceX released a flying rocket kit of their Falcon 9 and Dragon. Don't know the scale, but stands about 22"--you could ditch the body decal and roll your own details and paint scheme.

--David

• 11 months later...