I have this build going elsewhere but decided to post it here as well :) I am using this build to work on a couple new skills I plan on using in my p-51 build in the steeds of the aces group build! This will be a few posts wrapped into one....
Everything fit together guite well. I had to make a couple of the slots a bit longer for everything to flush up and I have to trim the cockpit walls a bit shorter for some reason. I dont know how you guys cut out stuff as small as the yoke handle.... I tried twice and wrecked it both times. I ended up using my paper drill and made a 1.5 mm hole then used the 2.5 mm bit to make a donut that I squashed a bit worked well for me!
I used water color pencils for edge coloring. I am very happy with it. here is my main issue with it though... its WATERcolor. Glue is WATER based. Get a bit of glue on the parts you "painted" and its easy to spread it around.
I am particularly pleased with the edge coloring on the instrument panel - see how well it matched up with the color of the parts. I am thinking black here may have made a better deliniation on the panel though Also the last two pics show the thickened top of the fuselage. I showed a pic from the top to show how well the water colors matched up and I showed a pic from the bottom so you can see how well it covered.
cockpit and former pics
These next two pics show the nice coverage I got from the watercolor pencils - note how the edge looks nice and red even though its 1mm cardboard under there
And here is where I currently am with the build. I have the skin on....
First I cut off the tabs on the bottom part - I figured I could get a better clean edge along the bottom by doing an edge join. Result - passable. I did not do a great job on the edge join. I think the result would have been better had I left the tabs on. But this is the kind of practice I need
Second and more advanced upgrade was replacing the gray area with red river silver paper. This had the same failure point as the remainder that I did not get the edge glued very well. particularly noticable where it rounds up into the front forms (see pic 3) I will be able to trim that a bit and use the silver sharpie to cover it up I do believe so nothing major there for me to fix.
As noted by Billy (on papermodelers.com - RR paper is EXTREMELY susceptible to the slightest bit of glue on the printed (silver) surface - its definitely different to work with than other types of paper.