To detail an engine or not

WesR

I'm doing several builds based on wrecked cars and trucks from the Fallout post apocalyptic game series. You never see the engines of these things in game as most of them have been stripped for parts over the 200 years after the bombs hit. My question is should i go out of my way to detail the few that still have the engines but you don't see them or just do enough so that it looks right? A few of them are nuclear powered like the old Ford Nucleon was going to be so for those i'm making a reactor to show off. I figured even if i put an engine in it after 200 years it'd be picked over and the smaller parts having rusted away. Opinions?

Wes,

I think I would go for minimal detail. I have the New Vegas game guide (small section of concept art in the back of the book) and have viewed much of the concept art for the other games online. With the storyline through all of the different Fallout games, I would say any parts not used were melted down for other purposes such as weapons, automated sentries, etc...

When it comes to subjects like Fallout, it's your world. Anything goes based on the concept art...

I agree. After 200 years engines would have been torn down for fuel and interiors for who knows what. It'd be that way in the real world too i'd assume. If it burns or keeps you warm it'd be salvaged. This is good as I am really horrible at putting engines inside these things as they never fit right lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this fits into the conversation or not but I recently completed a "post apocalyptic" creation using a normally gas powered vehicle and even though it was way too much fun to create (as there are no rules that had to be followed in order to "be right"), and the fact that the model does have an engine, there was no detailing done whatsoever on that part of the build. The hood was glued shut and no real accesable detail was done to the undercarraige as this was built primarily as what would be called a curbside model. Designed to be viewed/judged, from a distance, with no handling for scrutinization.

DSC00491-vi.jpg

DSC00492-vi.jpg

DSC00497-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320Wayne