Anyone ever scratchbuild a tire?

Schmitz

I picked up a 1/12 Tamiya Lotus 49 at a local show for a not-too-insane price. It was in an MRC labled box, which means its at least 15 years old.

I checked that all the sprues were there, but didn't notice until I got it home that the tires - still sealed in their plastic bubble packaging - were looking like the Wicked Witch at the end of the Oz movie... From doing a quick web search looking for replacements, this seems like a pretty common problem. Needless to say, no one seems to offer replacements.

I'm pretty sure I could scratchbuild the basic tire shape, but I'm at a loss for reproducing the tread pattern (which is probably why no resin caster offers replacement parts). Anyone ever figure out how to do this?

Don

You could also call Tamiya USA. They might have the tires. Also, I ran a tire 1/12 search. Maybe you can find a useable replacement set that way! Those Ferrari 312B tires might work.

http://www.ebay.com/...e 1/12&_sacat=0

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get hold of a copy of Gerald Wingrove's book 'Complete Car Modeller No 1' he describes in detail about making masters for tyres and moulding them.

• 1 month later...

I was looking out some of the old professional car scratchbuilders on the web and came across Henri Baigent. He was a Frenchman, living in England and a superb model engineer who passed away back in 1971. What I came across was an article that he wrote about making model tyres that was copied from an old Model Maker Magazine from the 50's. If you key in his name you should be able to access the article from one of the entries about him.