Scale Craft/ Esci 1/48 Fiat G-91 R-1

Dreamsof51

Found this kit in a pile of stuff my local Hobby Shop had bought from another shop that went out of business. Except for the pilot figure I did this one OTB. The kit shows it age with raised panel lines and decals that remind me of Airfix. Painted with alclad on the underside and testers model master enamels on top. The only thing that stands out is the windshield framing is not whats shown on the instructions or on the real thing. The engraving on the kit was so well defined I did not want to try to fix it. Other then that this was a fun, quick built.

DSC_5539.jpg

Sweet Fiat! I've always like the lines of that plane; sort of a shorter, squattier, longer nosed version of our Saberdog! The old Esci kits are usually good starting places for a quick OOTB shelf sitter (well, maybe not the old F-100 or F-8 Crusader) or to put a little elbow grease into and update into a contest grade model. Their S-3 is a great example of that! As for me, I'm about to bite the same bullet and tackle the old ESCI F-21 Kfir. Hope I have as much success as you did on your build! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Sweet Fiat! I've always like the lines of that plane; sort of a shorter, squattier, longer nosed version of our Saberdog! The old Esci kits are usually good starting places for a quick OOTB shelf sitter (well, maybe not the old F-100 or F-8 Crusader) or to put a little elbow grease into and update into a contest grade model. Their S-3 is a great example of that! As for me, I'm about to bite the same bullet and tackle the old ESCI F-21 Kfir. Hope I have as much success as you did on your build! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil. This was one of those just for fun type kits. I too like the lines of the G-91. Its a Sabre with a Ferrari touch. Its surprising how small a plane it is compared to the other aircraft of its day. It was after all a contender in the light weight fighter competition that brought us the Folland Gnat and the Alpha Jet. Both cool little planes in their own right.