Custer CCW-5 and Metal Gear

WesR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer_CCW-5

I'd seriously buy 2 of these as there are jet versions based on the design in a game i love and am making other models out of. I'd also love some model kits of the mechas from the Metal Gear games. You'd think they'd be around in Japan but one of them is coming out in Feb after 15 years of people waiting. They have a few action figure version but they're like 150.00 each.

And it would just be betting to be turned into various modified versions like a VTOL and such.

I know this airplane very well. In fact my Grandfather William Atrill was a test pilot on it. He demonstrated it for the USMC in Quantico VA. He wrote the only pilot manual the airplane ever had. If you tied the tail to a fence and advanced the throttles the aircraft would lift off the ground. This made for very short takeoffs. My Grandfather was very critical of the handling saying it was possible to run out of control authority especially during take off. This was one of the reasons the concept never took. Custer refused to accept the design had flaws that needed correction.

When my Grandfather passed away a few years ago I received all of his log books. One of them contains all the CCW flights including an emergency landing with an engine fire. I've also been in contact with Custers grandson Joel who is in the process of writing a history about his grandfathers airplane. With the advances in fly by wire and such the concept is probally more viable then ever. If it was ever put out in kit form I would be second in line after you Wes.

Edited by Dreamsof51

if I had the talent at wood working i'd make a wooden one to mold and do either resin or find someone to vacuform it as a kit with props or jet engines.

one of my favorite planes of all time. I built a r/c version back in the 80s.

I can understand why there would ever be any need for the channel in a jet version, eyond it looking cool in a game.

Chris, if you have more than log books I'd be interested in seeing them!

James

In addition to log book entries I have photos and some articles as well as some letters my grandfather wrote me when I sent him the issue of Airpower magazine that had an article on the CCW. I'm not that great at posting photos on here but can send them via a regular email. Send your address to chris.l.smith@me.com if you would like to see them.