Total noob question about finding engines

WesR

I got the Revell 1:25 1977 monte carlo to build and paint up like the one i had until a few years ago, it's a snap tight kit so it needs an engine but I'm not sure where to find a 1:25 305 engine. I had no luck on ebay except one that was 25.00. I wish i'd gone to the local model show as they used to have guys with boxes of engines for sale cheap. Hopefully i can come up with hinges to open the hood with too. Any help is appreciated.

Hello Wes: I'm not a car modeler but I do recall one name of probably several companies out there that sell aftermarket engines. One of them is Ross Gibson Engines. I believe they offer a Chevy 305 V8 but you do need to research it first. Also offered are Chrysler RB V8 engines, 440s, Hemis, and small block 340s, etc. Check it out on the web. Happy modeling,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

Wes, a 305 Chevy is just one of the many variations of the small-block Chevy V8 that has been around since 1955; at 1/25 scale its going to look a lot like every other small block Chevy engine of that era (283, 307, 327, 350). I'd start with an engine from another kit and tweak the details to match your references. Looking at photos on the web, you can't see much of the motor aside from the air cleaner and valve covers (the motor isn't even orange! it was powder blue!! Do those GM guys have no sense of tradition?!?).

I'm no expert on what kit has the best small block Chevy motor but there are lots of kits of Chevys out there; if you go to a model show and browse the vendors you can probably find something with a usable engine (and other parts) for cheap. BTW, Cleveland is holding their annual show this weekend - http://home.windstream.net/dchalke/CMS/ - its not much of a drive for you and they usually have a good turn out of vendors.

Don

I feel dumb that I didn't realize i could just use another engine lol. I'll see if i can get a cheap kit locally this month or next. I actually need a 50s pickup truck so maybe i'll grab one and use the engine out of it since i won't need the hood open on it. I appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the 1950 3100 pickup, the engine appears to be nicely detailed for a strait 6 (I think thats what it is) Also I seen a1955 Cameo Pick-up, not sure what the motor is like on that kit, but both kits are under $20 at my LHS.

-Steven

• 2 weeks later...

I feel dumb that I didn't realize i could just use another engine lol. I'll see if i can get a cheap kit locally this month or next. I actually need a 50s pickup truck so maybe i'll grab one and use the engine out of it since i won't need the hood open on it. I appreciate the help.

Hey Wes...did you find a motor for your build? You could always use the motor in the 57 chevy and make the adjustments needed to replicate your motor. Scale Dreams use to make wire and Aluminum tubing hinges...but it seems they don't stock them anymore. I did see some photo etch hinges in there though...here's a link to their site. It's on the small hinges... http://stores.scaledreams.com/Categories.bok

Here is another site with A LOT of building info a good one to save.... http://modeltech.tripod.com/ I hope this helps you Wes.

I found a couple that i bought cheap just to have in the parts box and even lucked out to get a new in the box 70 carlo i can mod into a 71. I found the original paint chart for the 71 too, just have to match that god aweful green color to a model paint lol.

Hi, Wes,

If anyone has the "god aweful" green in stock, it's MCW Automotive Finishes or House of Kolor. Your local Auto Zone may have a Dupli-Color rattle can with that color, also.

Good luck!

Ed

I'll look into it, if nothing else i'll go with the green we repainted it. None of the factory colors were all that great but the green was rough and the matching green interior was way out there lol.