What is the BEST sprue cutter?

RickC5

My old sprue cutters are dying, and even re-sharpening them only keeps them going a very short time.

So, in your opinions, which sprue cutters are the absolute BEST available, with cost not a consideration? I'm interested in which company and which particular model. It seems some are recommended for small parts, while others seem to be more general purpose. I'll buy TWO pair if I need to, as I frequently work with tiny, delicate parts and likely need a pair just for those.

Thanks for the help. I need it!

I use a Xuron 7123 Auto-shear, which I don't see on the page Mark linked. I think it's close to their 2175ET Sprue Cutter. This is my "heavy duty" cutter.

For light-medium work, I use the UMM cutter in the review Mark linked.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that my use constitutes the "best", but I 'm happy.

I like the Xuron 2175ET, but I have had problems with using it on very small and delicate parts (Roden 1/72 biplane interior struts, to be specific.) It has worked fine on everything else.

I have one from Tamiya. It's called the Tamiya Sharp Pointed Side Cutter for Plastic #74035. Yes, it's a bit pricey but has a much finer tip than the Xuron model. You should be able to find it fairly easy at Hobbylink Japan, Sprue Bros., etc. I've had mine for 5 years and it's still excellent. BTW, it replaced my Xuron cutter!

I have one from Tamiya. It's called the Tamiya Sharp Pointed Side Cutter for Plastic #74035. Yes, it's a bit pricey but has a much finer tip than the Xuron model. You should be able to find it fairly easy at Hobbylink Japan, Sprue Bros., etc. I've had mine for 5 years and it's still excellent. BTW, it replaced my Xuron cutter!

Agree! mine is over ten years old and I have a spare in my back drawer incase anything ever happens to my primary.

Thanks guys. Couldnt decide, so I ordered both a Xuron AND a Tamiya cutter. I oughta be happy now.

Rick