Why no 1/350 USS Texas deadnought (plastic)

In all the modeler's polls I have read, the USS Texas dreadnought has ALWAYS been in the top five requests for a new plastic ship kit in 1/350. I was just wondering why none of the major model manufacturers have not jumped on this as a new release? I can't believe there isn't adequate interest to justify a kit release. It is one of the very few dreadnoughts still in existence. There is no shortage of plans and other information to design the kit (not to mention the real thing in Texas), so I am wondering why this historically significant ship has been overlooked?

Anybody out there have any information on a possible future lease of this subject in 1/350 plastic?

Just curious.

• 2 months later...
Guest PetrolGator

Demand.

I mean, who has released a CV-6 that's remotely accurate in plastic?

IMO, slide molding and highly detailed molds have made good quality injection molding kits almost as expensive as their resin counterparts. I was torn between a 1/350 Fujimi Haruna and ISW USS Arkansas for something different. The prices were only around 50 bucks apart and the Arkansas came with barrels/PE parts.

I PREFER working with injected plastic due to familiarity but it looks like the ship world is slowly moving toward resin and only resin unless you build:

A) Bismarck/Arizona/Yamato/Iowa

B) Modern

C) Japanese ships.

ISW ships require lots of work from what I have read and based on the kits I have. Not saying they are not good, just get ready to do your homework and spend lots of build time.

Texas would be good but I would hope for a pre-WW II version. Not going to happen with injection molding, cage mast is the limiting factor from what I can tell. Same for the others in the period. Shame they can't do something from the 20-30's as this is lacking big time for us fans of that golden age of sea power.

New for 2013

Trumpeter 05326 - USS Indianapolis 1945 U.S.S. Maryland (BB-46)

Revell of Germany U.S.S. Hornet (CVS-12) in Aug.

and more

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2012_naval_subj.shtml

Edited by sumterIII

Guest PetrolGator

Excellent question. FWIW, I know Jon's Models in Pensacola, FL has a 1/350 Wee Vee in resin. I've looking in the box. It's VERY nice but will require one to have the ability to cut a LOT of resin off the hull with a band saw or some such. He's really trying to get rid of it and he does ship.

Chris,

If you want any of the ISW kits in waterline, just tell Ted. He'll cast the hull as a waterline and cut you some off the price.

Are they time intensive? Yes, but then again I know guys who'll spend hundreds of hours on injection airplane kits.

Einstein was right, time is relative.

Guest PetrolGator

Tempting. Right now, my biggest issue is space. We're moving to a house sometime late this year and I'll probably take up a good chunk of the garage with tools and work space.

Thanks for the help!