Brick walls

tbow33

I need help painting a brick wall. What are the steps in painting it. If someone knows a web sight I could go to I would be greatful. Thanks

Hi, Tim,

This is a very broad question. Techniques can vary depending on scale, size of a brick in scale, color(s) of the brick(s), color of the mortar, etc. Is this for a diorama? Will the brick wall be a wartime ruin? Is the wall part of a building? We need some clues before we can offer suggestions.

Some years ago I painted some sections of Armand Bayardi resin brick wall and intermediate pillars for a 1/32 diorama. I can share my techniques if that is something similar to your project. Please share some specifics, and maybe a photo of the unpainted brick wall.

Ed

Thanks for the response Ed.

It is going to be a WWII wall for a diorama. It is 1/35 scale. It will be a wall with a small hill behind it and cobblestone street in front. On the street will be my Elefant that I have been working on for the last 6 months.

Tim

One thing I have done was to paint the bricks in a red brick color. Then I apply a dark wash to it, making sure more of the color is in the mortar area between the bricks. Some dark color can be on the bricks as well. Then I'll do a semi-wash of light, dust-colored pigments dissolved in water and brushed on with a coarse brush to make it look dirty. Then I'll airbrush a light layer of more dust color along the base of the wall to show all the dirt 'splashed' up on the wall from passing traffic.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

One trick I've seen is first painting the whole wall white or grey (or your desired mortar color)- then rubbing a painting pad (like the kind you get for painting trim in your house- I suppose a cheap sponge brush could work too) lightly over the brick texture, with your desired overall brick color. If done right, this should leave the lighter mortar color and the pad only picks up on the raised brick texture. Sort of like drybrushing but with more paint.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first attempt at brick walls and cobblestone streets http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/7602-my-first-diorama/ I started with a light grey colored primer 'mr surfacer' for the mortor color then I dry brushed the brick color (tamiya hull red) over the bricks and went back with different but similar colors and randomly picked out bricks to 'break it up' same thing on the cobble stone. HTH. Greg.