Dremel tool question

sumterIII

I guess that would depend on your budget. When it comes to electric model tools, you truly get what you pay for. If you are "financially challenged", Harbor Freight carries a Chinese brand quite similar to Dremel for a very reasonable price. On the other hand, Dremel is practically the industry standard for quality and performance, but you pay more for that. Sears carries a Dremel type tool, but I'm not sure of the price. I can say that if it is a Craftsman brand, they back it for life (or they used to anyway) and Westlake Hardware carries Dremel and all the attachments at good prices and so does Home Depot. Personally, I have had my Dremel tool for more than 10 years and it still works like new. I ditched my old Dremel I had for 15 years because they switched to a better collet with an available chuck that will accept any size attachment.

My advice is to do a little research and decide what will be best for your applications. There are now "mini" tools that are battery powered, small and light which may work well for you. Make sure whatever "mini" you buy has a lithium ion battery because they last much longer than the other type of batteries.

I couldn't get along without my Dremel rotary tool. I use it almost daily as a model kit designer, whatever you spend I promise you it will be money well spent. You get it by the head of the house because it has many general household uses as well.

FWIW.

Here are two reviews from the archives:

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews/Products/dremel_stylus/dremel_stylus.htm

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews/Products/dremel_75anniv_rotary_tool/dremel_75anniv_rotary_tool.htm

Rusty has it right; figure out a budget -- then buy the most Dremel you can. There are lots of sizes and shapes and packages, but I'd bet most of us use the metal cutting bits, the sanders, and maybe the circular saws.

Mine is 30-some years old, I run it through a speed controller to max it out about 40%, then use a foot pedal to adjust within that range. But that's an real old-timey set-up, probably twice as big and half as capable as anything today ....

Unless you plan to do heavy duty scratchbuilding, metal working, or tackle really rough resin kits, you don't need a "plug-in" motor tool. If all you need is something to drill holes and rout plastic, I highly recommend a 2-speed rechargable type. Even the higher speed on the rechargable can melt plastic if you're not careful, so it has plenty of power.

I have a plug-in Dremel that I do use occasionally, especially for prolonged working times, or heavy duty grinding and sanding. If you do not forsee that kind of use, save yourself some money. The 2-speed rechargable can be gotten from $20-$50 depending on brand and place purchased.

GIL :smiley16:

Money is not the problem. I would like to find a tool with a quality rheostat so it can run almost with little power for drilling into plastic or resin with better control.

I am very fond of these Tamiya products for working with plastic kits. The router runs at a slow enough RPM to minimize melting the plastic. Plus, Dremel has a collet set that can be used with the Handy Drill & Router which allows you to use all the Dremel bits. I even use a wire with a loop on the end chucked into the router as a paint stirrer. And on top of that, they are kits, so once completed, you can take them as completed projects to your next club meeting... :D

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74042

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74041

If you are looking primarily at drilling, then look at a battery-powered screwdriver (from anywhere) and a collet from Micro-Mark. The screwdrivers turn slow enough to run without a speed control. I have cut my broken drill bits in half since I switched to this.

Back when I was really into modeling my parents got me one of the craftsmen versions and it was identical to a dremel, no doubt made by Dremel, and the only reason we don't use it anymore as the brushes for the motor aren't made any longer. We have several dremels but we're less than happy with the cordless ones as the quality has gotten worse. I have a cheap walmart plug in tool that i used for small stuff and a normal dremel for harder stuff. The little one is good for light sanding and such.

I have the Tamiya tool, not a bad little bugger but not up to what I'm looking for. I found a woodcraft tool over the weekend with a foot pedel control that might do the trick.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I have one of the Foredom flexible shaft tools with a foot pedal. I used to have a single-speed Dremel with a speed control. Both did everything I ever asked of them. A friend has one of the Lithium-Ion Dremels, and says it is very nice, too...

R

• 2 months later...

Ron;

I've had 3 Dremels in my life, one I've had for almost 30 yr's now that my Father had originally given me for my birthday.

Currently I have a Dremel 4000 vari-Speed habging over my area, with a working cable, it works awesome.

My older Battery Dremel is the one that gives me problems that I plan on sending back next week or so....

Like the others have stated, set your budget, and if able, go to he store and handle it a bit

Yes the 4000 is a bit heavier, and i had to buy as a replacement @ HD for like $125.00, I believe it was....

and when I bought the flex wand, I decided to try hanging it, and use it that way

I guess the best answer I have, is it depends on your budget (or deal you might see online), and your intended use for it...

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

The foot-pedal speed control (from Micro-Mark, IIRC) is a superb accessory for the Dremel, frees up a hand otherwise needed to control that. Love it.