Emhar 1/72 Mk IV into a Mk V

Ron Bell

I did this with the 1/35 kit, but I wanted one for my 1/72 collection. Since the first try, I found many things I should have done on the first project that I neglected. The Emhar kits are pretty basic and fit is only so-so, so with all the extra conversion work, it made for a pretty big project.

DSCN2739.jpg

DSCN2742.jpg

DSCN2740.jpg

DSCN2742.jpg

DSCN2753.jpg

DSCN2756.jpg

DSCN2757.jpg

DSCN2758.jpg

DSCN2759.jpg

DSCN2760.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

With the 100 year anniversary of the Tank being imminent, I hope there is a big focus on WWI armour. Though there are not many available, by 2016 it would not take all that much to release one of each type.

Thanks for sharing.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to sound odd, but I used garden variety dirt. I got a tablespoonful, spread it out on some aluminum foil and put it in a low temp. oven (200 degrees) until it was dry. Then I crushed it all up as finely as I could and ran it through progressively finer strainers/screens until all that was left was basically dust. The finer dirt/dust you start with obviously the less straining you will need to do. I then mixed that with some diluted white glue so it would stick and globbed it on. It will darken in the glue, but lighten back up when it dries. Then use the remaining dust like you would a pastel to blend it all together. You can get a wet look by instead of using white glue, use either Gel Gloss Medium or add Future to the while glue.

Ah yes! The first sign of true retirement....time to bake dirt! :smiley2: It did make for some great looking weathering though! Did you make your rivets, or use aftermarket? Looks great Ron!

GIL :smiley16:

Rivets were shave off other kits and then glued on to he Mk V. Not difficult, but tedious.