King of the 3rd place Vacuform!

That would be MY title, seeing as those are the only 3 awards I've ever taken at the Nats over the last 25 years! B)

These first 2 models were destroyed in moves over the years... :smiley7: , so I had to scan in pics of them from my album!

1rst up....

IMG_NEW.jpg

This is the 1/32 ID vac kit of the F-84G Thunderjet. Basically, everything but the airframe was scratchbuilt. It took a 3rd at the Washington DC Nats in '87.

Next...

IMG.jpg

This is the 1/48 Koster vac of the Hannover CLIIIa biplane. GREAT kit (metal parts, pe, lozenge decals, etc.), built OOTB! It took a 3rd at the Semi Valley Nats in '98.

And most recently...

100_1329.jpg

This is the Golden Wings 1/48 vac of the F3D Skynight, in 1948 markings. Once again, everything but the airframe needed to be scracthbuilt (and it was still no harder than the Czechmodels 1/48 injection kit! :smiley3: ). This took a 3rd this year at the Disney Nats.

Hmmm.....it seems I've found my niche at the Nats! :smiley20: Sorry, but no pics of the plaques for them (wherever they are).

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

I really like your F-84! Vac-form models are a dying art, so it is always nice to see that some people can still build them. I don't like to think of all the vacs I trashed trying to build, and all the ones that got tossed because of the appearance of an injecton molded equivalent. I started my Luft '46 phase just before Huma and MPM/Special Hobby started cranking out plastic kits. I sure wasted a lot of Airmodel vacs...

• 3 weeks later...

I salute you Gil. I've never been able to finish a vac kit. There are some cool subjects in that medium. I recall a company who made some nice civilian twin engine piston stuff a few years back. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Gil,

Being a armor modeler and seeing the aircraft tables absolutely jammed at every IPMS contest I have been too, I would say you are doing pretty darn good for scoring three thirds at three different Nationals. You must have beeten out a lot of other modelers that showed up and presented their models that they work so hard on. From what I am seeing in your photos I would say great stuff and congrats.

Chris