Airfix 1/600 HMS King George V

Ron Bell

This is actually a pretty nice kit with decent detail. Old molds, so there are a lot of seams and the fit is problematic in some places, but with care, it can look nice. I used a WE PE set for the KGV, but it had mostly radars that were fit after the Bismarck campaign, which was what I was going for. A set of Tom's Modelworks generic railings was also used. Clear stretched spru was used for rigging, which is my weakest suit.

DSCN2673.jpg

DSCN2679.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2676.jpg

DSCN2680.jpg

DSCN2685.jpg

The ship's boats are OOTB. No work done other than to clean them up a bit.

The hulls of some of them are a deep blue. Saw this in a couple of photos and thought it would make a nice splash of color. The boats that would have had "decks" and the interiors of the rest, had them painted a natural wood color. I've also seen them all done in just plain grey, interior and out. Pretty dull looking. The red thwarts in the boats by B turret are a bit of fancy to add another splash of color.

Edited by Ron Bell

The ship's boats are OOTB. No work done other than to clean them up a bit.

Hmmmm, I guess they improved the boats compared to Ajax & Iron Duke ....

Thanks, looks like I'll have to add KGV to my shopping list ...

I did the dark blue hull on the ID motor launches, hull red bottoms also -- look good. I'm at point of painting the Ajax boats and looking for some examples to avoid the overall grey ....

Hmmmm, I guess they improved the boats compared to Ajax & Iron Duke ....

Thanks, looks like I'll have to add KGV to my shopping list ...

John,

For Airfix this kit is in a different league compared to Ajax which was one of their first kits. It is really nice, bettered only by Belfast, Prinz Eugen and their best of all Repulse.

• 3 months later...

Neat work here, and certainly nice paint job.

This was not waterline, I think, and wonder if you cut off the lower hull.

Thanks

Yes,the hull was modified using a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool.

Edited by Ron Bell