October Theme: PAST IPMS/USA NATIONALS WINNERS

Past IPMS/USA Nationals Winners

Suggested by Dennis Tennant, the theme name says it all. Any model that has placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OOB or Premier in any past National convention is eligible. Please include the place it took and the year of the convention if you can.

As per usual, be sure to wait until Oct. 1st to post for the theme.

Since this will involve several posters can I throw in a additional idea or requirement? Lets photograph those models with the "BLING" visible in the picture!

Since this will involve several posters can I throw in a additional idea or requirement? Lets photograph those models with the "BLING" visible in the picture!

Good idea! I was going to post mine that way anyway. Excellent.

Actually....I was thinking of looking through my "album" and sharing pics of some past winners just 'cause they're great looking models. They're not MINE, mind you, but are probably models not seen in a long time, if seen at all outside of their b/w pic in a Journal years ago.....

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

I appreciate the offer to share, but for now lets keep everything for the theme as built and won by forum members. Your idea is a good one and I'll keep it in mind for a future theme. We'll call it your favorite Nats winners or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Modelkasten's 1/20 "Oskar", which took a first place at Phoenix 2004. This was my first National Convention, so it was very exciting coming home with an award. The kit comprised a mix of Nitto injection molded Neuspotter parts and resin + vac form plastic by Modlekasten. Note absence of scratches and paint chips - I was in such a rush to get the model finished that I didn't have time for the weathering process. Hopefully Hasegawa will tool an all-injection kit in the near future.

5844023828_542b342e2e_b.jpg

This is Roden/Encore's 1/32 Fokker Dr.I, in the much cliched all-red Richthofen scheme. This model took a third place at Phoenix in 2010. This was my first 1/32 scale WW I aircraft model, and it proved to be a finicky build. I'm glad that I didn't choose a British two-bay biplane to build! Decals came from Cutting Edge's "The Baron's Tripes". I tried to replicate the translucent effect of the red paint by painting a standard color scheme with green streaks and white backgrounds for the crosses, but the Tamiya acrylic flat red I used had an unexpectedly dense coverage and nearly obliterated everything under it. Again, note the lack of dirt on the wheels. Same excuse as for the Oskar.

5751868806_5b9a287bc1_b.jpg

This is the ancient Emhar 1/35 British Mark V Male tank. It took a second place at Ohio in 2009. The first place slot was taken by a goregeous Mark IV that completely blew mine out of the water. The name of the builder escapes me, but I got a chance to talk with him during the mad rush after the awards ceremony- he was a very nice fellow. The kit's dreadful tracks were replaced with Panzer Shop's resin ones, which were not all that great but at least were a reasonable facsimilie. I think punched styrene rivets were the only other item that was added to the model.

5740627655_2fd0b5e345_b.jpg

This is Pit Road's 1/20 Jim diving suit. It took a second place in the miscellaneous category at Anaheim in 2007. I found this resin kit in Japan right after I visited the Tokyo Maritime Museum, so I was thriled by my lucky find. The windows were molded solid, so I ground them off, hollowed the head, and added styrene windows and rings. Vac-formed truncated cones simulated the thick walls of the suit. The stand came with the kit, which was a really nice touch.

5741181144_57b5b308a9_b.jpg

And finally, a scratchbuilt 1/72 ADP Helicopter from the Japanese anime "Bubblegum Crisis." It took a first and best sci-fi award at this year's convention at Orlando. Materials used include sheet styrene, Miliput epoxy putty, and blister packaging for the canopy and patrol lights. The model was started back in the late 1980s and sat mostly dormant for 20-odd years before being dusted off and finished. I think this is one of the few times I took a photo of a model with its awards - they were so pretty I just had to.

7852328064_2ff22347ce_b.jpg

Here are a few of mine:

1/48 B-17F, 3rd place Atlanta 2005

b17f01.jpg

1/48 B-24D, 1st place Omaha 2011

B-24D4.jpg

1/48 F-14A, 2nd place Omaha 2011

F-14A8.jpg

1/72 U-Boat diorama, 1st place Atlanta 2005

U69-4.jpg

1/350 USS Truman, Best of Show Columbus 2009

8-6-094.jpg

1/35 M2A3 Bradley, 1st place Omaha 2011

Bradley2.jpg

1/48 F-16I Sufa, 2nd place Omaha 2011

F-16I13.jpg

Thanks Gil! To be honest, most of my entries were last minute substitutes. I seem to have this problem with deadlines and finishing stuff on time, so the Oskar and Dr.I were the only ones that were intended for the Nats. I seem to do better when I am in no hurry to finish a model, but then that leads to 20 year old unfinished projects like the ADP Heli.

Kelly, I got to see your USS Truman at Columbus, and I thought it was toally insane! Terrific work, and congrats on getting the best of show.

Stunning stuff, guys! Awe-inspiring, especially having seen some of these in person. I had to look twice at Peter's engine photo to confirm it was a model.