Dragon 1/700 USS Monssen

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Thanks. I'm building a new hobby desk that'll be commissioned this weekend. Once complete, I'm going to start on the 1/350 Academy USS Warspite, Premium Edition.

I shall post pictures!

• 4 months later...

Beutiful job. I recieved the Dragon Livermore/Monssen kit for christmas and am itching to start, mine will NOT be as good but I will try. My one complant is I do waterline and the kit comes with one w/l and one full hull. Does anyone have a source for w/l hull?

Guest PetrolGator

If you want to do both in waterline, you could cut the full hull down pretty easily as long as you "trace" the line with a razor before hand to weaken the plastic. Make multiple passes until the bottom comes free. The secret here is just patience.

Make sure you paint the turrets/superstructre separate from the hull to make it easier to get the 20-B on the deck, if you want. Also, try to locate Poly Scale paints. They have the full line of USN WWII colors but were discontinued because Testors bought them and are a bunch of you know whats.

BTW, little secret on the paint job: http://www.gatorsmask.com/catalog.html

Kenny stocks a TON of vinyl stickers which makes painting complicated jobs a whole lot easier. Make sure you still do your research, though. These stickers do not cover the extreme forward and aft views of the ship and you'll have to guess how to connection port/starboard masking.

Sadly, Monssen took damage pre-CALMEX thanks due to a ++++ poor job of getting her anchored. I was going to show her, but the broken mast, separated superstructure, etc kind of made that a moot point. Maybe New Orleans??

If you need help with the build, let me know. I love these little DDs.