Best Zero Kit

tomk

Which manufacturer makes the best 1/48 scale Zero kit? I'm going to do my first Zero kit.

thanks...tomk

While I don't do Zapanese aircraft, if I had to pick on based on internet reviews it would be a Tamiya kit! Even the OLD SCHOOL 61016 was a quick fun build! Dave Morrissette did a review of A6M5/5a Zero Fighter 61103 in the old reviews section.

The 2 older Tamiya kits are cheap and fun to build, but have a mix of raised and recessed panel lines while their newest released Zero is IMHO the best Zero on the market. Hasegawa offerings are great kits with very good details, and they have a larger selection of Zeros types. As for the other manufactures, again IMHO are just not up to date.

The new Tamiya kits are very nice, but I have yet to build one.

I have built several of the Hasegawa kits, and they are, in my mind - still very worth buying. As was posted above - they also have the "full range" of Zero kits available.

If you're looking for an A6M5 or A6M3 - you can't lose with Hasegawa or Tamiya. If you're looking for any of the other variebts - go with the Hasegawa kit.

Regards, Tim

Thanks to all for your input. I ordered the new Tamiya Zero kit.

tomk

• 1 month later...

Too bad you aren't building in "God's one true scale" :lol: The new 72nd Tamiya A6M5 is simply the best 72nd kits I've ever seen or built.

I agree, just finshed the new type 52 and it is wonderful. I have now started the type 22.