F-5 windescreen question

burner12

I was cutting out the forward windscreen area for the 1/48 monogram f-5 trying to fit the resin cockpit I have for it into the right place. But can't figure out is that large horseshoe area surrounding the resin cockpit supposed to be sanded, or stay there? Haven't found very many pictures that show me that angle. Plus if I sand it any more then the gunsight will be hitting the windshield when i glue it.

0902122218.jpg

Ahhhh.....now that I've seen a picture, I get the picture!

As long as the resin tub fits under that combo of the panel and coaming, and that combo fits inside the area you're worried about, I'd leave the raised horseshoe windshield base alone. If the windshield fits correctly on top of it, there's no need to do more work. Since you'll probably display the rear canopy open, there's no need to worry about the windshield sitting too high compared to it.

GIL :smiley16:

That "horseshoe" is the rain removal system nozzles. It blows hot air across the windscreen. I used to work F-5s at Nellis back in 79-81.

That "horseshoe" is the rain removal system nozzles. It blows hot air across the windscreen. I used to work F-5s at Nellis back in 79-81.

Interesting, Didn't know it even had a purpose. Glad i didn't remove it, thanks Tim

Edited by burner12