Painting Acrylic Paints

gblossey

Hello,

I have been modeling many years and I always used Floquil lacquer based paints. I am now trying to use acrylics and I would appreciate any input on what other folks are using to filter the paint through so I do not get any paint bits in my airbrush. Additionally, what pressure do most folks use to apply acrylic paints. Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth, I regularly use Tamiya Acrylics and thin them with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. I get great results with it. You can also thin Tamiya acrylics with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol - it's much cheaper in bulk than Tamiya thinner (though be careful when using Isopropyl with gloss acrylics because it will dull them out a bit). I have never had a need to filter them at all - I just use set my compressor at about 20 or so psi and spray away.

I do filter my paint but only when going for a high gloss finish like an auto body. Flat finishes rarely seem to benefit from the extra step.

mopp_0612_28_z%20painting_your_car%20paint_filter.jpg

I use one of these. I get them free from an automotive paint supply place and cut off the bottom tip about 1 inch up. I use just the tip to get the filter to a size suitable for the scale of material I'm working with. This will screen out those semi-coagulated bits that make a mess of things. Discard after use.

As for air pressure I run about 13psi for small detail areas & flat finishes and around 25 for higher volume tasks like large areas & gloss finishes.

Once you get the hang of acrylics, I think you will enjoy them. So much easier to clean up and the dry time is a plus. I agree with the previous replies, There's really no need to filter the matt colors. Thinning will take some time to learn and I recommend either an acryl thinner (can be kinda pricey) or isopropyl alcohol. A thinning ratio of 60% paint to 40% thinner should be a good starting point. You may have to bump it to 50/50 sometimes, depends on the paint brand. I spray the paint at around 12-15 psi. Too high of a psi tends to dry the paint before it hits the model and can cause a rough textured finish and lots of overspray. Paint additives such as Liquitex brand slo-dri and flo-aid can make airbrushing acrylics easier and produce better results. The only caution I have is you've got to prime your model first! Acrylics don't adhere as well as lacquers and enamels so an acrylic or enamel primer coat will help with layering and masking. Make sure the model is super clean and dry. Wash and scrub it well with Joy soap and let dry. Hope this helps...

Andy